1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Water/alcohol simple system + question on check valves

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by flynbrian, Jul 5, 2007.

1. flynbrian

I know a drag racer that holds several turbo drag bike ET and racing "title wins" he ran Kawasaki Drag bikes with a blow through carb. setup...He made a simple boost operated alcohol injection system that worked off boost simply by pressure alone...

I was going to use my windshield washer tank and hobb switches to spray at boost....he said none of that crap is needed... He ran a tank with a hose off the boost hat when it saw pressure it pushed the mixture out of the tank and through a nozzle to cool the incoming charge....he said it was nothing more than a tank and two hoses....Playing with nozzle size to get the flow right was the only tuning. It isnt really controllable just based off pressure...I guess you could add a valve to turn off off the flow when street driving and very low boost levels. ANYONE HERE TRIED THIS?

I also wanted to know how to protect the vacumn modulator and power brakes on my car? I was told the brake booster has a check valve and nothing is needed? Is this true? And where is the best source for a small check valve to keep boost from escaping out of vacumn lines?

2. DerekC

that is how Mr. Freeze from Anderson Motorsports works...so yes, it has been tried. It does require spraying before the turbo unless I am mistaken...

3. blacksaleen95

don't see how that can be as effiecient as a good kit with a good pump. It takes pressure (60psi+) to get good atomization of the water......If you have boost pressurizing the tank and then pushing it into your intake stream it's not going to benefit you that much...... A diy meth kit isn't very expensive, shurflo pumps can be had around 100 bucks and eveyrthing else is nickle and dime stuff. Why not do it right and get full benefits. You also have to be able to pull some fuel when you spray meth, what happens when you run out or the tank leaks, and you're tune is for meth? That sounds bad to me. Just cause some company makes something similar doesn't mean it's any good. dman on here has a good diy kit that will work perfect. also check out turbomarige.com and the buick gn fourms.

4. flynbrian

OK Thanks! I was probrably going to push much more alcohol than water through the system anyway. So that atomazation thing would be less relavant....I wasnt planning on "tuning" to make horsepower with the setup....just to help cool the air going in...since I am not going to run a intercooler. More to lessen the chance of detonation and slightly improve my octane rating since the car is gonna get run on cheap gas and be tuned for cheap gas. (if there is such a thing these days) I have my 69' Firebird tuned to run on Plain old Speedway gas with its 406 w/aluminum heads and it does well. I just want it to add alcohol under boost only...as a safety margin. The engine is being tuned for midrange torque at low RPM...1,800-4,000 is really where I want to make power....its a 4,000+ pound car with air conditioning and I will tow a trailer with my 69' Bird on the back....This 74' Monte is more stout than any of todays full size half ton trucks.
    Not that the Monte is only a workhorse....I would like to hand a few imports their own ass on occasion too....Heck it can pretty well do it now N/A...I will play with a home-made setup for awhile and see how it works....I plan carrying at least a 3 gallon tank of methanol so with a conservative tune that should last me all day...if its only used under boost.

5. BottleFed70

The biggest issue with this is that the alcohol/water mixture must be sprayed in before the turbo, meaning it goes through the turbo.

I would think that this would be hard on the ole turbo.

6. stanggod

So you were just going to slap it all together and hope it works?

7. sss510

The old Spearco water injection systems used to work similar to the system your describing.It used a 40psi winshield washer pump and a one way check valve, with a Hobb switch to activate the pump.The tank itself was pressurized using boost pressure and could be mounted either horizontally or vertically.On my Datsun inline six with 12psi of boost and 275rwh it worked fine on the street with no intercooler.Using my own witches brew of 45% distilled water and 50% detatured alcohol with a bit of water soluable oil and some pump protector for an airless paint sprayer.Eventually a 60 psi pump from Mc Master- Carr replaced the Sperco unit and a larger jet was used.

http://oldschool.supracentral.com/htm/h2o.htm#word

Personally, I would at least use a Shur Flo pump and a hobb switch with a nozzle all of these parts can be bought at Mc Master Carr and Northern Tool and Power Equipment.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_99 118 768400

http://www.mcmaster.com/

http://oldschool.supracentral.com/htm/h2o.htm

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2071134/5

8. flynbrian

Sweet this was exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for....And yes I have had many people say my setup is great for what I am doing and the tune will all be by the seat of the pants and reading plugs etc. Its a junk 350 they are a dime a dozen and I am good at rebuilding them....
    I am looking for moderate power increases, not full tilt "how much will it take"....so the tuning is much less tedious. I just want to reduce intake temps and ward off general detonation...its a non computerized, carbed, simple, vehicle and I am trying to keep it that way. so yes I throwing it togethor and "knowing" it will work....how much it will work will remain to be seen.

I am looking for seat of the pants fun....not dragstrip times....not bragging rights....heck If I get 6psi of boost I would be tickled....and the car would feel like a monster with that much I am sure.....The company that sells the turbo I have claim its capable of like 30+ Psi....So it should last a long time at my needs. I was planning on using the stock windshield washer tank and pump to move the mixture....until I heard of the motorcycle setup using just pressure, thats why I asked. I plan to use one of those "cheap" hobb swithes to make it work.