1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wastegate vent to atmosphere with a ugly ass pic.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BDR, Mar 24, 2015.

1. BDR

So my wg merge to the exhaust looks like shit. Its ugly as hell, long tube. What if I just dump to the atmosphere?

Fuck it.. look at the pic and critique it. I havent finished it. I'll cut the tube in half and add a wg flange to it so I can disconnect it from there.

20150324_201939.jpg #ad

2. afterfire

Seems to me like you could clock it 90 degrees and save yourself a bunch of bends.

3. 91turboterror

You could just vent it into the atmosphere would be the easiest solution and would simplify things

4. BDR

Would it sound like crap when I'm driving in traffic?

5. silverback

yea... what he said

6. Pimp_Daddy_Patty

Well, if you're not in full boost, you wouldn't hear it at all as it is closed at that time. I find an external wastegate screams like a Nascar engine when it opens.

7. devo9er

I would move the wastegate so the exit is aiming towards your downpipe as much as possible. maybe make your wastegate merge into the downpipe at more of a Y angle rather than a T also. It will look more natural and help flow too

8. Turbo-Box

Agreed. I dumped my wastegate on my current setup. It works, but I find it kinda obnoxious. I'm going to be recirculating it for this year.

9. Pimp_Daddy_Patty

Mine's open, but I will eventually dump it back into the exhaust. Less hassle emissions wise.

10. 434chevelle

Make a slip joint where it enters the downpipe also. Slide the next size bigger pipe over the tube that enters the downpipe and weld it into the downpipe.

11. BDR

Unfortunately I can'tell turn it 90*. The flange on the headers is already welded and coated. I don't mind letting it vent to the atmosphere...I'll see how it goes initially with it vented to the atmosphere.

12. TA153

I'd finish down pipe first, might be a better spot further downstream to merge it in

13. BDR

So a long ass tube going to the left...that would look funny also. Lol. I'll let it vent to the atmosphere for now. I'm in the process of moving my car and tools to a friends shop. It'll give me more room to work.

14. rick90lx

I wouldn't run it like in the picture, if that was my only option, I would def vent to atmosphere. Those sharp bends would probably cause it to creep anyway.