1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

gasket or not

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by sc saleen, May 31, 2006.

1. sc saleen

I just picked up a HP turbo kit. They say to use red RTV on the header port to the heads. Has anyone done this or should I just pick up gaskets. If I use gasket, which ones?

Thanks

2. turbomut

I just you a felpro 1415 gasket on my kit

3. sc saleen

thanks for the info.

you are in North Bergen. Am over here in Bergenfield

4. Bellman Jeff

I use these gaskets from Percy's.. http://www.percyshp.com/producthomexxcarbon.html In my opinion they are the absolute best gaskets for a turbo setup.. Your header flange doesn't have to be completely flat and straight like when you use RTV.. And they don't burnout like a regular gasket can..

5. someguy80

I thought most use Copper RVT and no gasket?

6. vegastang

I've never had luck using copper rtv instead of gasket. I've tried all the gaskets and I just use a standard metal core type. They eventually burn out, but they work better until that point.

7. slow95

every gasket i used burnt out, now i use copper rtv and it has lasted the longest

8. BigRy

Copper RTV is the shit, I have used everything from the FelPro to the expensive Percys useless gaskets, Actually I had decent luck with the MAC copper gaskets but they as well burned out eventually, and I made sure my surfaces were flat, now its RTV, got the idea from alot of other guys on here, and actually it still works, up to the point to where I decided to take my hotside off and get it ceramic coated.

9. Bellman Jeff

uhhmm.. Percy's gaskets arn't expensive at all.. And if you burned them out with flat surfaces.. That has me scratching my head.. Did your header bolts back out ??