1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

wastegate to atmosphere?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by turbo pontiac462, Nov 14, 2007.

1. turbo pontiac462

this is my first post BUT ive searched and searched for most of my answers with lots of luck (great site) but this one ive been on for about an hour and can not find it. i would really like not to dump my wastegate to atmosphere for plenty of reasons. one being its a street car and two i like to hear my motor. now in my archive searches there is plenty of info. some guys having boost creep by going back into the DP and others saying they have zero problems. im running a 5" DP gradually funneled down into dual 3". NOW ive heard that as long as you dump the wastegate gases atleast 18" below the turbo you will be fine. is this the general consensus? i can even go as much as 28" back but would prefer to get it into the exhaust before the y-pipe entering my dual 3''.

2. Anthony Fury

Yes, some people have dumped it even closer, but if you can do 18" from the turbine, definitely go for it. You should be just fine.

3. Turbocharged88LX

mine is dumped into a 4" down pipe roughly 10" away from the turbo

4. Robert1320

Boost creep is most likely due to a poorly designed placement of the wastegate
    and too small of a wastegate. Yes the return can effect, again a poor design
    will mess with everything.

5. turbo pontiac462

on my perticular application i need to come outside of the frame rail and 90 degrees into a frame mounted s400. im going to "try" and mount the wastegate at the radius of the 90 bend inorder to create as natural of a flow into the gate as possible. does anyone have a picture of their gate dump going into the downpipe? i imagine you would want that entering as natural as possible as well. i was going to cut and weld the adapter flange on as hard of an angle as space will allow so it will enter without creating any turbulance. essential the outgoing exhaust will "pull" the gate exhaust much like an evac setup. on the right track?

6. niels04cobra

as previously mentioned, as long as the kit is designed properly, you shouldn't have boost creep. The other key is to be sure you have a large enough exhaust that you don't further restrict it by re circulating it back into the exhaust. I spent quite a bit to customize my kit so it recirculates back into the exhaust and was extremely glad I did.

7. 55Belair

I ran a completely separate exhaust pipe, muffler, tail pipe for my waste gate. This was easy to do, as I just used the existing muffler and tail pipe from my previous dual exhaust system.

dad's cars 007 (Small).jpg #ad

dad's cars 009 (Small).jpg #ad

turbo june 001 (Small).jpg #ad

8. turbo pontiac462

wow an entirely seperate exhaust system for the wastegate! i just got myself a turbonetics racegate. my initial 5" DP is 24'' plus the 90 degree bend on the top which still needs to be welded so i have a total of close to 30" of 5" DP. ill drop it in as far down as i can and see what happens. does anyone see a problem with the size of the racegate (45mm) for my application? im using the S400 BUT at only 5psi to start which means the gate will be open ALOT. think its upto the task??