1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wastegate tie into main exhaust pipe location?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by efi-diy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. efi-diy

I'm redoing my waste gate to turbo down pipe plumbing and have 3 possibilities - short, medium, or long pipe before plumbing into the turbo down pipe - pix of the 3 options attached.

Like to get some feedback on if there is a difference or which is better?

Thanks.

P8170917.JPG #ad

meduim WG.jpg #ad

long WG.jpg #ad

2. daithi2

just do the first one, less pipe, less weight and uneeded room loss. Also instead of 90*ing the pipe into the dp, 45* so its angles in the direction of exhaust flow. the wg gasses have a higher velocity then whats in the exhaust from the turbo and could hypothetically result in turbulence or unwanted back pressure. other then that your just venting gasses.

3. Unatural

This is how I would do it. Trim the 90* that is coming out of the WG and place a straight piece where the red lines are. This would promote the best flow both through the DP and out of the WG.

meduim WG.jpg #ad

4. efi-diy

I like the 45* idea - thanks. Out to the shop to make fix.