1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wastegate Spring Pressure

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BlackCoffin, Feb 19, 2021.

1. BlackCoffin

I have a 44mm Tial wastegate with 5psi spring in it based off their manual. I was testing it off regulated air and it starts to crack open at 4.5psi and becomes all the way open just before 10psi. For initial startup and tuning I wanted to keep boost low and eventually run a max of 10-12psi. Running a s475 on a 5.3 LS and wondering if the operation I noticed is going to control boost soon enough? I expect some boost creep up top and if it isn’t too bad I’ll live with it. Wastegate is mounted inline with flow on a 90 degree bend so placement is about as optimal as you can get. Thanks!

2. BlackCoffin

3. Mnlx

You'll have exh pressure pushing on the gate as well, so it'll typically be lower than your bench test. Best way is to pick your desired spring, run it, and make changes if needed.

4. Mnlx

You also may have issues trying to run low boost with only one bank gated.

5. Disney Lincoln

It won't control boost with a single gate on a divided system like you have pictured above. You'll need a WG on both pipes.

6. BlackCoffin

All great points, thanks! I was worried about one gate but just wanted to get it running first. The divided housing makes sense and I’ll have to install another one before I get driving in it too much. Wish I didn’t have to but it is what it is.