1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5 speed foxbody lag questions

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Dorkwheeler, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Dorkwheeler

Looking to put a s480 1.32 96mm that i have laying around on a 347. It has 185 AFR heads and a supervictor EFI intake on it. The car currently has a procharger and a big solid roller cam that made 700 rwhp. Looking at putting that turbo on with a F303 cam. Its mostly a street car. Hope to make 850-900 rwhp if possible. How much lag should I expect?

2. Forcefed86

Wouldn't be my choice for a street car with a manual. I'd go with the smaller 83mm exh. wheel s400 / 1.10AR t4 setup.

3. Andy Dorsett

Expect a good bit of lag with that setup. Any way you go about it, it's tough to more than double an engine's power without a good bit of lag when that engine does not make strong low end torque to begin with. Anything with a single plane intake and a big enough turbo to more than double the engine's power is going to have poor street manners.

4. Dorkwheeler

When would you think this would start to boost in first? I am ok with some lag but I dont want to take the blower off it and put this turbo I have on it and it and be unable to make any kind of power with the 5 speed.

5. Forcefed86

You'd be luck to make any boost in first.

6. Dorkwheeler

So is this a totally bad idea? If the car was an auto would it work ok?

7. Andy Dorsett

I misread you original post. I see it says Supervictor EFI and not just supervictor so the situation is not as dire as I stated; however if you want a true street car I would use a slightly smaller intake (performer efi, systemax, etc.) and I would not run that cam on a 1000Hp engine. I would spend a couple hundred more and get a custom cam. Something in the 232/222 range with as much lift as that allows and 114 separation will aid in spool. Then use a turbo in the 76mm range. Something that might not get you to 900wheel but will be close and will spool the fastest possible for the power that you will make.

Then since it is a street car start thinking about boost control. You can't put that power down at low vehicle speeds so you will need something that varies boost with vehicle speed to manage the power.