1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wastegate size advice please

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Bucky, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Bucky

I'm using a similar elbow to this
    https://www.cxracing.com/EB-T4-300V-CAST-WG-C_VB_1-1_KIT?search=vband&page=2
    Race only 406 sbc with twin gt45's. 8000 rpm max. Would like to be able to dial down the boost for slower bracket race days. What size wastegate minimum?
    I will be using two wg's obviously. I know of some 38mm JGS's that I can get used. But I suspect that those are far too small.
    How big do I need.?

2. Bucky

I should have mentioned. High boost for me will probably be 16 psi. Like to be able to dial down as far as I can depending on the race and the track conditions. In n/a form, this engine runs 7.90 @167. Light car of course. I want to get a little more tuning experience at low boost too before getting aggressive with it.

3. B E N

Go as big as you can fit. You wont find any real disadvantage to one that is to large, but one that's too small wont allow you to meet your goals.

4. Disney Lincoln

As with everything there is a balance. Too small and it cant reduce pressure, too big and you can't keep the gate shut. Placement has more to do with control than size IMHO. I would think twin 44-ish would be plenty.

5. Mnlx

X2, what Disney said.