1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

intercooler piping

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by wvragtop, Mar 10, 2012.

1. wvragtop

has anyone ever used pvc or abs plastic for interclooer piping ?

2. blown385

of course not .

3. furchaser

Bwaahahaahaaha.. ... but didn't that crazy flyinhillybilly do do something like that ?
    Forgot about this one.. http://www.msvorinich.itgo.com/
    it's the fourth or fifth page of the build.

pic_0096.jpg #ad

4. M&M Turbochargers

give it a whirl and let us know how it works :2thumbs:

5. Andy Dorsett

Metal plumbing provides a significant amount of transient intercooling so if you are not road racing your metal plumbing does a lot of intercooling. Plastics will provide almost nothing.

Do the math on non intercooled setups. If you compress air a certain amount the temperature will rise a certain amount plus efficiency of the compressor makes it rise even more than the theoretical. You will never see these temps at the intake as the plumbing, throttle body and intake itself are relatively cold surfaces that the air is moving over.

6. wvragtop

Ah yes i see i was just wondering because i knew that i would work but 2.5 id plastic is hard to find ,but is comon on 90%gas furnaces as flew pipeing .but i had not thought about the convection properties of metal vs the plastic or composite. so alluiminum is definilty the best.I was just thinking air flow .(just wondering)