1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Falls on its face

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Wallace Sutherland, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Wallace Sutherland

Hey Guys, Wally here. Patients please. New on here. I NEED HELP. I have a twin 70mm turbo set up on a 383 SBC In a 72 NOVA. C&S carb MSD 6AL-2 programmable ignition. Fuel log, regulator with boost reference. Any way I was at the track on Saturday first time out. And when I'm at the top of second gear it falls on its face, just as the boost is kicking in it just dies. It shut off on me a couple of time. When I get back to the pitts and take a look my fuel pressure Guage it's on 0. I've increase it like 4 times before I loaded it on trailor, like right now it reads 7, but if I did a pass and come back its on Zero. Please any help would be great, and on the way back on return road it runs rough.

2. Mnlx

What fuel pump? How is it wired in? Filters?

flyinhillbilly likes this.
  3. Wallace Sutherland

I've have a refurbished external holley, it's the one that was recommended by c&s. And a big Ole fuel filter after the pump. We have driven it around town last fall but first time at the strip, I noticed when the fuel pressure gauge was on Zero the fuel in float bowls eye glass were low, then I played with the regulator like 4 different times to bring up fuel pressure. Is it possible I have a bad refurbished fuel pump?

4. Wallace Sutherland

The pump is wired directly to the fuel pump fuse from the fuse box using 12 wire.

5. Wallace Sutherland

The pump is a refurbished external holley, I have a big fuel filter right after pump in the trunk,

6. Wallace Sutherland

I noticed a few times the float level was low when I came back in the pitts. Right now it's just above the sight glass.

7. Mnlx

Anything's possible. What model pump? Holley has had some issues with some of its pumps. Many suggest to run the pump with a relay wired directly to the battery.

8. Wallace Sutherland

It's a refurbished holley 12-800 external fuel pump.

9. Mnlx

That is the series of pump they've had issues with. I assume your tank venting is ok? Is your gauge liquid filled, and mounted near the engine? I ask because it's common that a hot liquid filled gauge will do exactly what you're describing (wouldn't explain the lack of fuel though) I would check wiring, and the pump first off.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017