1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wanting to swap from a supercharger to turbo...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by draggin50, Apr 29, 2012.

1. draggin50

Ok here is what I got going on...

I have an 89 Mustang Gt with a 427 ci Windsor, Victor Jr. heads, Super Victor intake, CSU blow thru carb, Custom SR cam for blower, 9.2:1 compression, and a Vortech Ysi. All this is thru a th400 and an 8.8 with 3.73 gear. Ive only made 2 shakedown passes in the car and Im wanting to switch over to a turbo and FI. I know nothing about turbo's and Im curious as to what all I would need as far as turbo size and A/R, Air to Water or Air to Air, Injector size, TB size, Fuel Management, and so on. I want to be able to drive it on the street and enjoy it. Any words of advice or help is greatly appreciatted! It may be something I do this winter but I want to start stock piling parts if so.

2. draggin50

Ok I havent got much feedback yet on this and I have currently pulled the Ysi off and I want to start a turbo build. I have a new Precision PT101 and 66mm Precision wastegate. The only problem with this turbo is that Im not able to run many classes with one that big.

Here is where I need help.

The local classes are limited 8.5 and 275. Limited requires the use of a 76mm turbo, cast wheel. This is more of where I want to run. Is the 76 to small for the 427 cubic inch SBF? If not which turbo would you suggest?

Do I need to just step up to a GT47-88 or 55-88 and run 275?

3. bgjohnson

You're hot side needs to be at least a T6.

The reason you didn't get much attention is because it's such a massive topic, you are just going to have to search to similar combos and see what guys are running. If you have a class restrictions, that's a whole new bag o worms.

4. turbostang500

A 76mm is good up to something like 800-850 hp.

The exhaust housing would probably have to be big as stated.

I would say first you need to have a target hp and car usage (which you sort of described).

On a side note, where are you in Ohio and what track has a x275 class???

5. draggin50

I planned on going with a T6 hot side so I could change over from 1 turbo to another easily. Ive done a few quick searches and didnt really see any info that I could use. But yes the 8.5 limited class does have restrictions such as 76mm and cast wheel.

Im located around southern ohio and they have the Xtreme Outlaw Series at Kilkare. Limited 8.5, 275, and Outlaw Limited Street.

The PT101 I have is the G trim 1.0 A/R but most likely I will just sell it to buy another one that will fit me in one of the two classes. The Limited 8.5 class is running around 5.70's and the 275 is closer to the 5.30 range. I just dont see being quick enough to hang with the 275 guys.

6. turbostang500

I think I was wrong on the power rating of a 76mm turbo. Looks like precision, garrett, and turbonetics are rating them up to around 1000 hp.

A lot also are selling them in a t4 housing. Not sure how that would affect you. I can't see the 275 class only running a 76mm turbo and running 5.3x. that seems a little fast but I am not fluent at those times.

Running on those small tires, you might want a little larger housing and will no doubt change to a different one at least to compare. maybe a 1.15 or a 1.32 so the thing doesn't try and ignite the tires right on the line.

My ideas are only meant to ponder over and create conversation. Don't bet the bank on what I am saying! There are a lot of WAY more experienced guys on here that will be able to help you more. I guess this is more of a bump and to get you to talk more about your combo! haha

7. draggin50

The limited class has the 76mm turbo limit. 275 is still 88. I for sure will be going with the t6 flange.

8. Jeff88coupe

Your going to want the biggest size exhaust wheel and a/r you can get. I'd look at least at the BW S400 series with a 1.32 exhaust a/r housing and 96mm exhaust wheel. This is what I run on my BWS476 on a 338. You can get a plain S475 t6 turbo pretty reasonable..new for ~$650 that is legal for limited 8.5. That is what Smacks (maroon coupe) runs and what I ran last season. I had Reed at Works turbochargers upgrade my old s475 to a s476 with a cast 76mm wheel and race cover over the winter. I think you can make it work...may need to swap your cam to do so. I know of at least one guy that runs a S475 on a 420ish" sbc down south that has been 5.4x's or better on a 275dr. I also think that bullseye carries a 1.50 a/r housing for the 96mm wheel...that may help you even more to keep the back pressure down.

9. draggin50

Thanks Jeff! That's what I've been needing to hear. The cam will be swapped out as this all takes place. I probably won't make it out this year with it but hopefully spring time. I want to go back to fuel injection and change a few other things. I'll be at the next race spectating so I may look you up there for a few more questions when your not busy.