1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

wanting to select right turbo for 351

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by jt351, Nov 10, 2008.

1. jt351

Sorry guys this sounds like a newb question but I am in the market for a turbo, but I don't want to go too big nor too small. I am right around 500rwhp and just want more, I am bored with my vortech s-trim blowthru, I am looking for a simple single passenger mounted , with little to no welding required, I own my own shop but just don't have time to fab, I have seen some kits but have no provisions for exhaust after the turbo, like they need to be fabbed up. Also What is the deal with Ebay turbo kits, how they can be so cheap? One guy had one for 1500$ and for 279$ upgrade you got a master power 70, thats a good turbo right?? or is it a knock off too? Another kit was 1200$ and it came with a engine oil cooler,electric fan, electric boost controller and a ton of other shit like 2 wastegates 2 BOv's, Other kits I see are over 5000$ and are just basic. help! I would like in the range of 700 rwhp on my 351 w/ afr205's victor intake.

2. ABRich

For the most part, if you buy a quality kit (cheap ebay crap is garbage), after install you can take it in to an exhaust shop and they can finish the exhaust for you. Ebay kits are cheap because nothing fits, and the components themselves are cheap knockoffs. The MP70 is a good turbo and a lot of people here run them.

3. Dave R

With your setup, A MP T70 would be too small in my opinion. I think you should look into at least a 76mm setup but you would do better with something bigger shooting for 700rwhp.

I had a MP T70 but never ran it. It was obviously too small for even my little 347 with Vr Jr heads so I sold it. FWIW, I'm setting up an S480 T6 80mm that might be slightly too much for me. Somewhere in the middle of those turbos would be ideal for you if you want it a street car. I'm shooting for track mostly with a few runs in the car to work.

If you want it to be a track car, you could handle more than what I have.

I'm only going off internet searching and discussions with others though. I've never ran a turbo mustang of my own yet. My DD is a twin turbo V6 and that's my turbo usage extent. I'm sure you need more than a T70 though even for the street or you'll not be utilizing your parts to their full potential if not choke your setup.

If you can't fab on your own, don't bother with E-bay kits.

My opinion.
    Good luck either way.
    Dave

4. brianj5600

If you run a t4 based turbo use an S-trim turbine and 76mm compressor or bigger. People that have tried to make much over 500rwhp with smaller turbos on 351's have wounded their motors. I have a MPT-70 on my car now and I am looking to go bigger. Going from 10 to 12 psi on my car got me no gains in 1/4 mile. The compressor and turbine are both overworked at that point.

5. Saywhen

With your goal a 74 gts would work, but when we switched to a 47-88 the change in spool up wasn't hardly noticable. With the 74 we ran 145mph with 28# the 88 it ran 156mph with 30#. This was with a 274 ci motor.

6. svooh

Just to avoid any confusion, the GTQ70 above will outperform an MP70 by LIGHTYEARS. I would not hesitate at all to use that GTQ70 turbo on a 351cid engine...only thing I would change is ditch the on-center turbine housing and run a tangential. Anything from 70mm to 80mm would do what you need, depending on boost levels.

7. Dave R

I didn't imply that any 70mm is the same as just posted above. The MP T70 is less than other 70mm turbo's and even better than others. Please don't think I was comparing. I'd personally go for 76 or bigger with a 351 with those heads and intake combo surely. I'm not a fan of the whole back pressure issue so I'd suggest a T6.

Good luck.

Dave

8. svooh

I know you were not comparing... Your explanation was very good actually. The ebay-kit part was SPOT on! :D

9. turbofreek

im no fab guy and my down pipe took less then 10 minutes to fab. if you dont have 10 minutes i dont know what to tell you. but an s400 or 480 would be a nice turbo with room to add power. i believe you have a lot of room under your hood if i remember correctly. maybe even a drag radial hot side kit from b&g would work? downpipe is a piece of cake.

10. ABRich

He could always go with twin MP70s. I have a kit for twin t304s that i'm gonna ditch for twin mp70s on a 410w. I originally thought it would be enough for me but I ended up buying a larger displacement shortblock so.......... don't tell my wife. :ahah:

11. jt351

I like that idea! How would that spool up? and what kind of power potential am I looking at? Sorry another newb question, what is a s400 or s480 what size are they, what makes them different and don't use typical size like 70 0r 76.

12. turbofreek

the s400 i believe is 74mm inlet and a t6 large frame turbo. the s480 is good to 1000hp and is an upgraded s400 with a 80mm inlet.

13. racesloth

Akbar00 ran a MPT70 on a 351 and ran well - If it is not an all out effort I'd run the MPt76 call Brian at B&G....

14. Turbo Drag Radial

I'm using a S475 on my 418W......I haven't used it yet as I am finishing my project but I did map it and it will be within the range and should make about 700-800 hp...
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. Dave R

I don't think Akbar was running AFR 205's and a Vr intake though. I think a T6 is the way to go but that's because I don't like the idea of high backpressure. I tend to go to the upper end of the range too though.

16. jt351

Ok I am on the B&G website, I have a lot of options what do I want?? there is first wastegate is the when is 38 not good enough? Then comes intercooler? why hp based, If I had a 500 n/a engine and add 4psi boost thah why would I need a larger intercooler, I thought Thden it would be more about amount of boost?? Then comes turbo? what the freak is the difference in PT-76 GTQ and a PT-76 GTS and what is the differnce in a pt70 with a p trim that cost 500$ more.

17. blown385

;)

18. turbofreek

answers in bold :2thumbs:

19. jt351

Back to finding turbo, when is a intercooler really needed, I would like my car to be simple, If I can achieve my goals with 8-12 psi is a intercooler needed with say a s480 or similiar size turbo on 93 octane 9:1 compression.

20. xr8tt

It all comes down to tune.. A bigger compressor won't heat the air like a smaller one..Read turbo maps..
    Also read what others are running..
    An intercooler keeps things simple in the tune dept where intake temps are more stable..
    Yes the intake air sensor reads intake charge! But its up to tune and ECU to adjust it..
    One thing about intercoolers, the cheaper are o/k if big enough..
    BTW its just not about boost as a 2ltr engine can have 20Lb boost too..Lb per min/ flow also..
    Better to be over done on intercooler than underdone..
    Are you after simple or budget build??