1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Tuning Help.

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by boostD306, Dec 4, 2008.

1. boostD306

Alright any input on this subject would be appreciated.

I have an 89 mustang GT single turbo and its almost time to get it tuned. Whats the best way to get a basic tune on a car like this. The local shops are wanting 1k+ to do it and i just feel like that is high??? :bang: I dont know alot about tuning and im just would like to know what actually is involved in this? One shop reccommended i get a diablo delta chip? and let them tune it. It was $900 for tune,chip,dyno time. The other shop wanted $1200 for an sct tune package,tune,dyno. So i guess my question is whats the best tuning bang for the buck?

2. nealysa

Best bang for the buck is doing it yourself if you are knowledgeable enough. Those prices sound a bit high depending on the are you are in. Tweecer, SCT, PMS, for a cheaper do it yourself.

3. boostD306

Alright so what goes into the tuning process? Are they just increasing fuel under boost and adjusting timing??

4. mtpturbo

I can sell you a complete ACCEL DFI Thruster EFI system with a custom baseline cal file, widebandO2 and data logger for $1400. Using the cal file I provide, you will just need to use the wideband O2 feedback to get the VE table dialed in and shouldn't have to make too many other adjustments to get the car drivable. As you get more acquainted with the system, you can get more aggressive with the tune and make adjustments to target A/F numbers and ignition timing.. You can also generate data logs and send them to me along with your tune and I can help you with getting the VE table tightened up.

This is not a substitute for having an experienced tuner right there to do the work (a good/experienced tuner can do a lot that a beginner may not know to do), but if you have basic computer and tuning skills it may be a cost effective alternative. It is also very gratifying to be able to tune your own car and knowing what is in it rather than being at the mercy of a tuner.

Just some food for thought.

-Chris

5. gnklr50

where are you located?