1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Let put together the ideal turbo for me.

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by Dart451, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Dart451

This turbo thing has got me thinking about giving up the nitrous. I was thinking single, or twin turbo, with water alcohol injection. My motor is not the ideal motor for a turbo with 10.2 compression, but low boost initially, then new motor will be low compression. I have a 451 with 400 rods, 452 heads some porting with bigger valves, m1 intake, 850 dp holley, mp 284 .528 mech cam. I was thinking next motor would be a 500 inch stroker, but we will see.
    I have read maximum boost a few years ago and have a good grip on compressor, but on a/r I am lost. So recommendations are wanted.

2. Traction Issuez

What power level? Intentions of car?

3. Dart451

This has always been a late night street racer, but would want to get by on 93 gas and be able to drive it, could add high octane gas and turn the boost up. I don't plan on doing any big road tripping in it.
    How hard would 800+hp be to get?? I have all winter to figure this out and put it together, I just don't want to say I should of bought a bigger turbo. I am willing to change cam and pistons if need be. If this motor lets loose because we got to greedy then so be it, it has served me well for 8 years.

4. Traction Issuez

93 octane + turbo + 10.2 compression is a no go. It's just not going to have favorable results. For your displacement, I'd say step up and get a GT45, there are some fantastic prices on those going on right now in the GP forum (bottom). Think it's got a 1000hp threshold and with your displacement it would be a total blast to drive
    issuez

5. Dart451

Yeah I understand the compression issue and could lower it by using a thicker head gasket, but would like to experiment on this motor before I dedicate one to it. The 93 could easily be spiked with 110 octane if that is what it will take.
    Where are maps on the gt45 turbo?

6. Traction Issuez

send a PM to "Joe" he'll get you any info you could possibly want about MP turbos
    issuez

7. Joe

LOL - you don't have to put quotes around my screen name. It's my real name ;P

8. Traction Issuez

sometimes when I put Joe people ask, "Who is Joe, is that XXXXXXX?"

9. Dart451

If there are no maps available for the gt45 how do you know it will work to 1000 hp? If it is ideal for this apllication?
    I know you probly get a lot of first time posters that say they are going to do this and don't follow through, but I am not one of them. So all of your efforts will not go to waste.:cool:
    This going into a 70 dodge dart (I have owned since 1988) I just minitubbed it myself, and installed a alterktion front end, and wilwood brakes all around. So I am not afriad to do the work or spend the money in something I want.:D

10. Traction Issuez

Compressor maps tend to be a trade secret, but power levels are the reason the turbos are made, so you can depend on that factor. I'm sure there's another special made turbo out there that would be "ideal" for your setup, but my reasoning for the GT45 is based on your power goals and displacement. It's a big turbo that needs some exhaust energy to get it moving, and with the cubes you've got they should work together quite well. Plus the power level that turbo can support is just amazing.
    issuez

11. Dart451

Where is some accurate dimensions so I can see how much room is required?

12. Traction Issuez

13. Dart451

14. Unsane

451 + GT45 = bucketloads of torque. Insert envy here.

15. Dart451

Torque is your friend!! It will me nice to have a better highway gear then a 4:10 hopefully it will be a torque monster and I can switch to a 3:23 and not hurt performance.

16. Traction Issuez

Hell for that power level, I'd lean toward a 3.08 or even a 2.79. The low end torque of that thing will make it one hell of a tire fryer
    issuez

17. Dart451

Who needs overdrive when you have a moon gear.

I was looking at the dims and the exhaust opening is = to about a 2.25" tube. Would that cause a hell of a restriction?? When I am done I plan on a 500 ci + and mild boost or a 400 with lots of boost or something in between.

18. turbodart

Exhaust gas velocity is the result and that is good in a turbo engine exaust. I'm about finished installing a GT45 in my 440 Dart and it seems to ba a good sized turbine compared to a T4.
    Why do you want 500 CID? You'll have plenty of torque with a turbocharged engine. The CID's aren't necessary IMO. Just added expense.

19. Traction Issuez

That's the inlet, you need that ultra high flow speed zone to force the wheel up to speed. What's important is that the turbine outlet is excessively large to allow the exhaust to flow out and maintain velocity. Trust me, there's plenty of opening for what you're trying to do. In fact with your displacement you could likely go with a slightly higher A/R on the turbine side to give you even more flow and top end potential
    issuez

20. Dart451

We know who types faster lol.
    I guess I am use to reving the motor more then what is going to be really needed. I was thinking 500 ci just because of old school thinking. I need to realize I could just up the boost.
    I am interested in the 440 outcome what can you tell me about it and any pics?