1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can I drill/tap a pipe fiiting in my compressor housing

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by jaredsamurai, Sep 6, 2010.

1. jaredsamurai

I have a t4 Garrett that is off of my car right now for rebuild and I wanted to drill and tap the compressor housing for a barbed pipe fitting. Problem is that there is no boss or pad to drill into. Its just plain casting thickness all the way around. I don't have calipers that can measure where I want to tap it but my fingers tell me its between .150"-.200" thick (prooly closer to .150"). I don't wanna drive a fitting into cast aluminum and it turn to mush... Has anybody drilled/tapped their housings out with any luck? Any vendors wanna chime in here :angel:?

2. slowboat

I did my master power that way without hesitation(drilled and pipe tapped). I blended the fitting on the inside of the housing as well.

fairmont 016.jpg #ad

fairmont 018.jpg #ad

3. 68mustang

yea i tapped/drilled mine without any hesitation

4. jaredsamurai

Went ahead and drilled and tapped that housing. Pretty damn beefy in that area.
    You guys were right. Definitely plenty thick.

5. 68mustang

i was just thinking about this thread over the weekend, i was polishing my comp housing and it was like midnight when i was putting the fitting back into it. so i got it started and looked down at it and it was all cross threaded! i did manage to get it out and fix it put, but geez

6. jaredsamurai

I used a loc tite pipe thread sealant on mine and kinda wish I would of just used tape. I don't know how hard that sealant gets. I hope it doesn't pull the threads out!

7. blownbluebird

what is the reason for putting a fiting on the comp housing?

8. jaredsamurai

To run wastegate signal off of it. I was running it off of intake manifold.