1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wastegate size for my future combo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by JoeRacer, Nov 16, 2008.

1. JoeRacer

I'm currently in Afghanistan (ya! :bang:), and when I return next year I am planning on turboing my 93 cobra.

My current engine combo:
    stock internal 302
    Twisted Wedge unported heads (I am having these freshened up with new valves/springs, and a light milling to clean the mating surface)
    Trackheat intake unported
    Lunati 51025 cam (.535/.544, 224/232, 112LSA), which I've been told might work well with a turbo combo, but I guess we will find out ...

I am planning on running the BG CUSTOM TURBO hotside with a MP T70 .68a/r. The cold side will consist of a treadstone IC(TR10, 26x10.5x3.5 core, or the 24x10.5x3.5), and 2.5" piping. I am planning on running 60lbs/hr injectors (too big?), and an AMS PMS IV (I already have a 1/2" iirc ss fuel system w/pump, that is supposedly good for 1000+hp ... ). My power goals are 500-550rwhp depending on boost (I know I know .. the block is going to explode on me). I'm planning on running a .6bar wg spring to start with, and move it up to .9bar with a boost controller eventually. I also am planning on a water/meth inj kit before turning the boost up to help keep IAT down (I'll be returning to FL when I get back to the States and out of the Army).

The way I figure it is that from what I've read the T70 .68a/r is rated to around 650hp, and the treadstone TR10 is rated to 666hp on their website. The 2.5" piping is also for <650hp. So I figure with my power goals I should be covered. I've also checked the T70's compressor map and made calculations off my engine combo and hp/boost levels planned and it seems to fall inside of the efficiency range of the turbo. The only thing left for me to figure out is which size wastegate I need to run.

The way I understand wastegate sizing is that it depends on the overall hp of the car (which determines airflow), size of the turbo, and the desired boost level. Sometimes a smaller wastegate will work fine on a high hp engine depending on turbo size, and desired boost level (if you don't mind running 18psi, then the smaller wastegate can handle the routing of exhaust away from the turbo because most of the exhaust needs to go to the turbo to run the higher boost). Whereas if you want to run a lower boost level often a larger wastegate is required so that it can handle routing the necessary exhaust away from the turbine. Which leaves me with the question, 'what size wastegate for my combo?'

I've decided to run the Synapse engineering WG (and BOV). If you aren't familiar with the company you can check out their website at http://www.synapseengineering.com/ , but for quick info the WG won SEMA 'Best New Product' in 2007. The WG does not use a diaphragm, has 6 different built in boost settings, and adjustable valve preload. Check them out. A friend recommended them to me as he has had lots of success with them on many different applications. They come in a 40mm size, and a 50mm size. I have seen on the BG CUSTOM TURBO website that the standard size WG they use with their base kit utilizing a MP T70 .68 is a 38mm, and there are options to upgrade to a 44mm. Taking into consideration my combo, turbo, and expected boost levels is the 40mm WG size a good choice. Would the 50mm size be more appropriate? Up to what level of turbo size and boost levels would the 40mm be enough, and under what conditions would I want to change over to a 50mm? I appreciate any advice anyone can give on this, also if anyone has reference material (tech articles on the web) that can give me good formulas for determining the required size that would be awesome. I came across a few websites with good formulas for reading and utilizing compressor maps during my research, and was wondering if there is anything out there similar for determining appropriate WG sizing. Thanks.

2. xr8tt

The T70 is fairly closely rated to your engines goals.. So imo that wastegate should work fine..
    But why differ from kit ??
    It not so much the power combination.. Its when you have higher h.p turbo and want to run low power numbers .. Meaning the wastegate is working much harder..
    The fabricating of manifolds etc has a lot to do with wastegate flowing good also..

To us guys in Australia.. Afghanistan is much closer to us..
    Had some come into our country on boats..
    You guys are doing a fine job.. Appreciated ...

3. Robert1320

Synapse are cheap import rip-off piece with a high price.

All you need is a Single JGS 40mm for you 70mm turbo set up.
    The JGS will out flow the Tial and bolt on in place of a Tial.

Several JGS BOV's will work it depend on the induction you will use.

4. JoeRacer

How do you figure? They are designed and tested in the States. They are a California based company. The manufacturing is done overseas at an ISO certified plant that also makes Harley Davidson parts, so if they are a cheap import rip-off then does that make HD a cheap import rip-off?

5. Robert1320

My understanding is these guys had overseas backing and you answered the import part. Anyways cruise the import forums and you can see how well the perform. :doh:

JGS is AMERICAN made (period)

Your over there fighting bad guys don't support them. I spent 8 years in uncle sugars service, they are some things I Do Not Support. I've been there, got the tour, watched as friends NOT come back.

As for HD well I remember when real BIKERS rode REAL choppers, not yuppies buying the latest trend. Half the crap out fo ra HD is imported, American bike with $1000's of dollar supporting china thanks.

In the end it is your choice, your car, your money.

6. JoeRacer

I'll look into it more. Like I said a friend recommended them to me because he has had a lot of success with them at his shop in FL. I guess when I said "I've decided to run" I should have said "I'm looking into." That's why I made this post was to see if anyone on this forum had any experience with them.

I love products that are American made. It is an interesting side note that a lot of the crank shafts (eagle, SCAT, etc) are all manufactured over seas (some in china lol). I was told that Ohio Crankshafts is the last crankshaft manufacturer who designs and manufacturers here in the States.

Yea. Well there is a reason I am getting out. Two tours, one in Iraq and now one in Afghanistan, is more than enough for me. I'm a medic with an infantry battalion, and I've lost too many friends over in these shit holes. I'm happy to have served, and proud of what I've done though. It's just time for me to get out and move on with life.

lol no comment

I'm here to learn, and in the end I want to not only end up with parts that work but parts that will last and be the best for my combo (I hate wasting $ on stuff that needs to be replaced later because it wasn't optimum for my setup .. done that too much already lol). I appreciate your input, and your knowledge of the products that you have as a retailer/installer. I've tried to do research into Synapse Engineering, and even emailed them about their operations. I'll do some research on the import forums about their reliability though.

As far as running the JGS WG goes, iirc you commented in another thread about how swapping from a 38mm Tial to a 40mm JGS cured a car's boost problems in one of your experiences. You said that the 40mm would be capable of bringing the MP T70 down to ~.6bar in my application. Eventually I could see a scenario where I stepped up to a T76 unit to enable a faster ET :D, but I'd still like to be able to turn the boost down for the street. This being the case, would it be better to go ahead and run the 50mm unit (iirc the JGS comes in 40, 50, and 60mm??) because it would be better able to handle the exhaust flow that would be needed to be diverted in order to run the T76 down to .6bar in the future?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

7. Robert1320

Actually we were able to control a 302 76mm with a single JGS 40 where a 38 Tial would not.

8. JoeRacer

:eek: wow, that is impressive. So a 40mm sounds real good for my application then.

As far as the BOV is concerned, would it be better to run their 40mm BOV or the 56mm BOV? Is it possible to run 'too big' of a BOV or WG?

9. Robert1320

Depends if you need a recirculating valve or a straight bov.
    The 40 Rec, and the 56 is bov.

10. JoeRacer

Cool. Then I'll go with the 56mm BOV because I am going to have a blowthrough MAF. Thanks for the advice and taking the time to answer the questions.

11. underpsi68

Would a 38mm Turbosmart control this also?