1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

A9L Vs. A9P???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Zachatola, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Zachatola

So myabe you guys can help me here, im wanting to run a A9P on my motor, Aod, 331, turbo t-70 hoprfully. On a budget and im trying to pick up some of the things im gonna need down the line, How well will a A9P work for a turbo for one, and also what are the major differences in the two comps, i see A9Ls for sale all the time and hardly ever see A9Ps. Looking at about 500 hp if i can swing is eventually so will the A9p and a add on tunner say Tweecer or soemthing work well for this rough set up???

2. netguru

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the only difference is A9P is for an auto and A9L is for a 5 speed maybe the timing curve is different and have heard people speak of the idle being higher with A9P But Im sure it has torque converter lockup and some Auto trans features as well I am not 100% on that But The A9L seems to be the computer of choice.

3. twinturbostang

Yeah, the A9P was used in auto stangs. I've used an A9P, and A3M (93 version of the A9L). Timing curves, and probably a few other minor details are changed. Still uses the same strategy to run the engine though. And fwiw, I liked the A3M calibration better. Course once I started tuning it via my TwEECer, it didn't really matter what processor I used (they are interchangeable at that point). But for out of the box performance, I liked the stock A3M calibration better.

4. Zachatola

So how does the Tweecer and stock comp work for your application? Im looking at different options and i plan on running a Auto AOD but does that mean that i HAVE to have a auto computer??? Also how easy or hard is it to work with the tweecer, i really dont know a lot about timing/spark curves. So im trying to find something that i can work with to make my turbo setup perform nice for some street driving. Any help would be great.