1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

CAT lifters, anyone use em?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ntrcptr90, Jan 14, 2005.

1. ntrcptr90

I can score a set of new solid roller lifters for $113+shipping, pretty good price. Anyone heard anything bad about em?

2. chickendreamer

The only CAT i've heard of is Caterpillar that makes farm and industrial equipment. :shrug:

3. 94cobra2615

CAT makes engine parts like girdles and lifters...... I haven't heard good or bad about their products.

4. ntrcptr90

I heard they had problems with they're balancers or stroker parts for some reason about 1-2 yrs ago.

5. TurboShortBus

I saw a buddy of mine break a CAT main stud while torquing it down. Avoid that shit like a hooker with a runny nose.

When are you guys gonna realize that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR? Shit is cheap for a reason...because it's SHIT. When using 5-cent parts, expect 5-cent results.

Mark

6. SWT Racing

I would not use the CAT roller lifters. If you've ever seen the aftermath of a roller lifter letting go, you'd understand completely.

I bit the bullet and bought nice Crower roller lifters at about $369 a set. At the very least, stick to the big names: Crower, Isky, Comp or Crane.

7. Linc's 84 351

NO LIE!!!

Cat products that have any motion in their function are complete junk.

The girdles are supposed to be "o.k." but definitely NOT the studs that come with them.

Do a search online for "CAT chinese cranks" or "CAT chinese crankshafts" and you will get many horror stories.

8. Taffy

Are you guys referring to www.catpep.com??

They are local to me and I have heard nothing but good stuff about their products. They are not that popular though. That is not to say that their stuff is not good though.

9. chickendreamer

10. Linc's 84 351

Maybe he wants to stay with solids though....

11. ntrcptr90

I guess a guy local tried em on his BB chevy and found out the hard way. A couple buddies also have Doug Herberts and really like em, i'll pay for the insurance.:D

12. SWT Racing

I would bet that the Herbert roller lifters are the same as the CAT.

13. chickendreamer

BAH.. I never read the solid part... my bad. Try Crane or Comp Cams, they make nice lifters.

14. TurboSN95

Like Mark said, you get what you pay for. I have Crowers. After years of abuse, one finally let go and scratched up one of my lobes on the cam. Could've been much worse, but like I said that was after lots of abuse.

15. Project X

I've never looked at the lifters, but the main girdle I 've seen was a joke. For one it wasn't even close to being flat, and the studs were so warped they barely screwed into place (not my bullet:D )