1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

VSS sensor on MAF conversion?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by EvilGooses, Jan 16, 2005.

1. EvilGooses

Hello everyone,

Im in the process of doing the upgrade on my 88. In my kit instructions it says to run wires from the Vehicle speed sensor to pins 3 and 6 if they are empty spots. They are.

In the stang net instructions it says not to bother running wires if the stang is equipped with cruise control. It is.

Heres the link I got the info from. ......

http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html

Stangnet's instructions indicate that its not nessesary if you have cruise control. Its the first time I read that but Im hoping to find someone here who has cruise and didnt wire it.

Has anyone done the A9L upgrade without running these wires because you have cruise control?

I know where the wires are. I just want to avoid any problems and unneeded splicing.

The kit's instructions were somewhat poorly writen. It says if you dont have VSS you have to buy a different speedo cable with a VSS sensor and wire it up. If pins 3 and 6 are empty you have to wire it up.

My car has cruise control on my 88 ( and it works) but pins 3 and 6 are empty. The kits instructions say that you should buy a whole new speedo cable with a VSS sensor and wire it up

Conflicting info makes me a bit nervous when wiring a computer in my car! I hoping someone here can help! One thing that sucks is unneeded splicing!

Ive cut/pasted and revised the way Im explaining this so if anything is unclear let me know. I'll gladly explain what I mean!

2. Dave R

I used the IST kit and have done two of them. Both cars had A/C and I ran the wires on both. I say just run them regardless.
    This is definetly a wake up mod for the SD cars. Throttle response is great. It took the computers time to learn but it'll smooth out and run great.
    Good luck

3. EvilGooses

Thanks Dave, My concern is over the Cruise control - losing it or having other problems with the car by tampering (or not) with it.

BTW, I have AC as well. It works great! :)

4. Dave R

Yeah, I'm a dumb ass. I meant C/C on both cars.
    One of the cars I removed the CC from and the other it's still there and works fine.
    Good luck
    Dave

5. EvilGooses

Awesome! Thanks Dave!

6. 418W

if you have cruise you have a VSS

7. EvilGooses

Yeah, I also have the wires. Ive never heard of anyone actually going out and buying a new speedo with a VSS to complete the MAF conversion!

Thanks guys