1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

what motor mount w /Dart block

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by papis408w, Jun 15, 2005.

1. papis408w

As I stated in another thread My friend is having some trouble getting some motor mounts to work on his Dart block and QA1 K memeber. There is a water plug on the driver side of the block that is on the way of the motor mount.

What are you guys using? and w/ what K member?

I also have a Dart block and need to resolve this for myself as well.

Thansk in advance!!

ps I will post pic of the water plug shortly.

2. TurboSN95

do you NEED to use this port? can you block it off and use another?

3. papis408w

its plugged but the area where it plugs sticks out somewhat and that is what doesn't let the type of motor mount that we tried to use lay flat.

going to go to shop real quick and take some shots.

4. Enginerd

The problem is the boss the plug threads into extends out from the block surface and interfers with the mount. I have solid mounts and had to cut a notch in them to clear. AJE K-member, but I'd imagine you would have this trouble with any K.

Rob

5. papis408w

enginerd- exactly.

another possible problem is since he has a PTK kit we don't really want to change the height/dimensions of the location of the engine as this could creat interference issues w/ the turbo kit.

issues issues:rolleyes:

6. Trentk

i use stock convertible motor mounts and some no name k-member (looks like a D&D, probably is) and I don't have any problems. I had to grind on the outside of the block to get the mount to sit flush, but I didn't have to grind on any water plugs.

7. papis408w

what block are you using and where id you grind?

8. Trentk

this thread is about dart blocks right??

I ground on both sides of the bolt hole for the motor mount so the motor mount would sit flush against the block.

9. papis408w

just wanted to make sure as some have A4 experience.

rayturbokit2 006.jpg #ad

10. Bobby

I had to grind both the motor mount and the block to get the motor mounts on. I am using the D&D k member, and prothane motor mounts. Dart 9.5" deck.

11. papis408w

here's the difference w/ the motor mount

rayturbokit2 007.jpg #ad

12. Enginerd

Just notch the mount and you're good to go.

Rob

13. papis408w

yeah that was what we were thinking but didn't want to mess w/ the integrity of the mount.

14. Enginerd

A small notch cut there should not weaken anything. The bend on the opposite side of the mount should give plenty of structural integrity.

Rob

15. Grnd Effct

I am using Energy Suspension engine mounts with a Dart 8.2 block and have no clearence issues with a no name tubular K-member ( I think it's a ground pounder?)

whitespitstop_1850_86405316.jpg #ad

16. papis408w

those mounts look like the conv motor mounts. We tried the stock conv. first and those little nipples sticking out didn't let the motor sit flush on the K frame.

17. silver_lite_nin

Maximum motorsports solid mounts are quality and already notched.

18. NIL8GM

I'm using ASP aluminum mounts with D&D K member on my 9.5 Dart block. I did have to do a bit of grinding on the block like Trent said to get the mounts to sit flush but there were no probs with the coolant plugs.

Rick