1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Please Help Diagnose Problem!!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 32VGT, Jun 17, 2005.

1. 32VGT

Heres what happened:
    I broke the input shaft on the 3650, had the 3650 rebuilt, emailed pics to spec to make sure the clutch disc was ok, they assure me it had plenty of life, then I bought and installed a steeda double hook quadrant, and steeda firewall adjuster. Everything is installed. car sat up a week

SYMPTOMS:
    *Its exremely hard to get it in any gear
    *goes into gear very easily when car is off
    *chatters all the time when clutch is engaged
    *sometimes on the 1st to 2nd gear shift it feels like it falls on its face, like a big loss of power-not always though
    **when at a dead stop, you put it in gear, and the car moves a little
    *clutch pedal prssure is hard-ive got a spec st.3, but it wasnt this hard before

How Car is set up:
    Steeda double hook quadrant hooked on 2nd hook(nearest driver)
    Firewall is all the way in, but when we start turning the firewall out(counter-clockwise), it feels like it gets tight, too tight, like its gonna break the cable

Maybe it needs to be put on the 1st hook and loosen (counterclockwise) the firewall?

ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks as always

2. 32VGT

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, WE ARE STUMPED!

3. 32VGT

Anyone think that my problem is just in adjusting the firewall and putting it on the 1st hook(nearest firewall) on the quadrant?

4. jbi66

The clutch is not fully dissengaging. Are you sure you lined the clutch plate with the pressure plate correctly? Did you check the pilot bearing?

5. Drlee50

sounds like the cable needs to be adjusted a bit tighter to disengage the clutch more . how is the cable routed? it may be binding inside the sheath and making it seem tight when it isnt. have someone lay under the car when you push the clutch pedal in and see how far it travels. did you mess with the fork ball stud?

6. ITS A BLURR

what he said, adjust the nut farther. keep it on the same hook though.

7. gofastcrackpipe

Ditch the steeda cable, and get a stock one. Next thing you want to look at is the quadrant lined up with the pedal all the way straight. I know that they machine them to be slightly narrow, and they have some slop when it comes to side to side. Use some washers to align it correctly with the pedal. That will cause bind and make it seem like the cable is to tight. Second put the rear of the car on jack stands. Adjust the firewall until the rear tires will not move in gear. As far as clutch chatter goes, if you let the trans rest on clutch during install it can have a wrapping effect and cause chatter that way. Good luck and keep us posted.