1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fixing the Thrust bearing problem on a Ford Mod Motor

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by 99TTGT, Mar 20, 2015.

1. 99TTGT

Thrust bearing problem :

The reason the thrust gets damaged is forward pressure caused by transmission pressure trying to push the converter towards the engine.
    This issue can also damage the oil pump & this will destroy the hole engine...

small video of how this happens..

a few pics of the finish product after a few 1/8 mile passes on a brand new FORGE long block..

CAM02316.jpg #ad

CAM02315.jpg #ad

2. 99TTGT

The research :
    After taking to some engine builders & transmission builders they ALL AGREE in one thing:

3. 99TTGT

Stay tune as we go on in full detail, step by step on how to fix this problem...

<---disclaimer:--->
    some of the videos, graphs & pics in this tread are just for reference ..only..

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  4. 95MustangGT331

At what hp level does this start happening?

5. dragvw2180

In the VW racing world we have encountered a simular problem . On our flange cranks the thrust bearing gets eaten up exactly as the picture I have seen here. The best repair I have seen is to install a set of replaceable thrust bearing flanges made of Bronze .Here is a link to a picture of what it looks like. I know this may not work on your engines but it might help someone come up with a solution . Mike McCarthy
    http://ultimateaircooled.com/attach...508-flanged-crank-endplay-img_0302-large-.jpg

6. 95MustangGT331

I personally ran into a cast Chinese crank that would not work with an auto... 2x. Found the info in a old catalog. Something about the pilot hole is machined different. It wore the thrust bearing AND the crank. I think the crank was ate more lol

7. flyinhillbilly

Out of curiosity, was that video shot with the wiped out thrust or a good one?

8. ng8264723

MMR has the solution already. Are you going to outline a less expensive version?

9. ng8264723

I also read about modifying the block for a thrust bearing. Is that for lower HP's?

10. 99TTGT

Not really a good solution.
    because the converter is pushing on the crank so hard that it crack the oil pump gears in most cases.

I try the block mod with the billet oil pump gears on the twin setup & it lasted a few years.
    But the BIG SINGLE HIT's HARDER than the twins ever did & it only take seconds to trash a hole motor & turbo due to metal shavings feeding threw the oil system

In HIGHT HORSEPOWER drag race APPLICATIONs the issue is even bigger because the hit is out of the hole with a lot of torque, breaking the seal between the pump & the block just enough to starve the farthest out bearing out of oil..

Yes,that's why we gave them a call today.!

MMR 1 805 383 4130

Modular Mustang Racing

This content is protected

We Told Mark what we wanted ,gave Taylor a CC#
    Now,we just wait for the parts to get here...

photo.jpg #ad

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  11. 1hcam

^^^ Is that a graph from your car?

Are you making any mods to the transmission?

12. 99TTGT

13. 99TTGT

Got a pm from MMR
    "Your kit shipped today - tracking # 1z249a3y........."

Scheduled Delivery:
    Thursday, 04/02/2015, By End of Day
    Last Location:
    Arrived - Los Angeles, CA, United States, Monday, 03/30/2015

:encouragement:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  14. saltfever

I'm new to the Mod motor. Is there are thrust bearing problem with a stick shift car?

15. 99TTGT

16. converturbo

I like this set up. Has anyone seen an external pump that doesn't require the loss of the A/C? I have seen some reverse rotation pumps around but if there is one available already I won't have to machine a bracket.

17. converturbo

And this bracket saves the a/c? I saw the pump advertised on your site that says it loses the a/c, but not another option.