1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Vortech supercharged 1991 mustang 5.0

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Mustang83, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Mustang83

Brand newbie so be gentle. Bought 1991 mustang 5.0 and it has a Vortech entry level supercharger. Idle lopes and when at cruise speed it acts like it’s losing power and sometimes chugs. I’m carb guy.. this car is just a clean ac car show car. I believe it’s still on stock computer. How can I tune this thing without having to depend on tuners those guys get expensive. Plus I plan to change stock heads and cam. And I’m sure it will definitely need to be tuned then. It’s got 19lbs injectors not sure on maf. It’s has a fmu and stock tb and stock upper and lower intake

2. Disney Lincoln

3. Mustang83

4. Mnlx

The Holley will be the easiest to work with, and it has the most user friendly auto tune imo.

351w likes this.
  5. Mustang83

T
    hanks for your time sir

6. B E N

19 lb injectors and the vortech don't mix. Keep your foot out of it until you have an AFR gauge.

7. Mustang83

Yes sir I agree but I bought this way and it’s acting up and I’m old school (carburetor guy) so I gotta get a understanding of fuel injection. And it will have a afr on it. This lx is ac car very clean with a supercharger making maybe 5 lbs still has stock eeciv stock tb stock upper and lower 19lbs injectors and a fmu. And I’m certain it should run better than it does. I wanna add a small cam and heads. And from this point I’m sure I’ll need some kind of stand alone and I know nothing about em or how to tune with em. But I also don’t wanna pay a tuner because then I’ll always have to pay a tuner I’m cheaplol

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  8. Disney Lincoln

I can't imagine it gets easier than a Holley system.

9. Mustang83

Yes sir I appreciate info.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  10. Mustang83

Yes sir I understand. We bought the car how it is. And it runs ok but idle has a tendency to drop rpms or cruising say 65 -70 mph it’s like it loses power. That’s ac on or off. Could I get away with just installing bigger injectors? To help this problem. I have a small b cam and heads for it also but hell I don’t want the tuning nightmare. So they will stay on the shelf.

11. B E N

You can get a "calibrated MAF" and matching injectors from most any mustang parts retailer. It won't be as well optimized as a tune but will work and should keep things safe. Overall the ecms in those cars are forgiving.

12. Mustang83

Thanks that helps a lot appreciate your time

13. Mnlx

My 2 cents is to go right to the Holley. A Maf, and injectors will get you closer, but does nothing to address ign timing, or fine tuning of cruise or idle. Spend the money you would on the maf and injectors on a Holley, and leave the Fmu for now if your budget doesn't allow for injectors. The Fmu isn't the best setup, but is quite predictable, and the Holley will tune around it. The bonus is that the Holley comes with a wide band, so there's one less thing to buy.

14. 91turboterror

You can put a set of 42lb injectors and a blowthru MAF calibrated which should cover you to 500hp as long as you also upgrade your to a Walbro 255lph fuel pump but that doesn’t mean your cars driveability will be perfect it still would be a good idea to do so like said before. The Holley might be expensive initially but if you learn how to tune it yourself that’s a big saving. If you can run the Holley speed density then you wouldn’t need to spend money on a MAF

15. Mustang83

Thanks for help