1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

F.I. nOOb and his Scamp!! :edited:

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by jwsewell, Jan 29, 2009.

1. jwsewell

Hello everyone.

My name is John Sewell. I live in Vancouver WA and own a 74 Plymouth Scamp I call Doo Doo Brown that I want to build into. a bracket / street car. At the tracks I will be running at the cut off times for sportsman class are 8.20 for 1/8 mile and 12.80 for 1/4 mile.
    This all started when a friend of mine gave a complete 62' 413 and rebuilt 727 trans. with a 2400 stall for helping him with his drag truck. The oringinal plan was to just drop the 413 into the car, but after coming across this site I have desided that a DIY single turbo on my 318 will most likely get me the times I want or damn close to it. Not to metion that I would have a FRICKEN TURBO, how cool is that!! :2thumbs:

Right now I have what is listed below...
    - Stock unknown mileage 318
    - Stock 2 Barrel heads
    - Stock "broomstick" camshaft :D
    - Edelbrock Streetmaster 318 Open intake
    - Edelbrock 1405 600 CFM carb
    - stock exhaust manifolds
    - 2 inch duals w/ flowmaster 40 series knock offs
    - Stock 904 TF w/ stock converter
    - 8 3/4 rear w/ 3.23 gears & mini spool

No dragstrip runs but have been driving daily 60 miles round trip without a single problem. Feels like a low 16 second car right now if I had to guess.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The ol' 413 just sitting there begging for a turbo!! If I had the funds I would be using this engine instead on the 318.
    [​IMG]#ad

The current engine bay of ....... Scamp...er !!! Crap I guess I will just call it the car. LMAO!!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. turbofreek

Re: F.I. nOOb and Doo Doo Brown

your going to have to change the name to something else. we already have a doo doo brown here. :D

3. jwsewell

DOOOHHHH!!!!! :bang:

4. CW25

Looks like a solid car. The Doo doo brown he is refering to hasn't been around in a long time from what I know. He had a Camero with a TV8101...

5. turbofreek

you can call it the scat scamp. that would be sufficient.

rotoya is playing with his corrolla right now. ;)

6. PrecisionTurboMustang

bwahaha

7. mpi_duster

For what you're looking to do with the car the easiest thing would be to get some SVO turbos and magnum manifolds. Running dual down pipes is much more friendly than one fat single.

8. CW25

A 4" pipe is a pita to run even on a truck like mine.

9. 10secgoal

Hahahaha, you sum bitch. Beat me to it. :2thumbs:

10. turbofreek

only by 2 days you slow ass sumbeach :cheers:

11. jwsewell

Well no turbo for me.
    I desided that trying to be bracket racer AND learn to tune for boost AND try to remain consistant will be a tall order.

So I am just gonna build myself a mild 550HPish 470 Stroker with some Eddy RPM heads.

Indy has the kit on sale for $1495 right now.
    Eagle 4340 3.90 crank, Eagle 6.76 H-beam rods, 4.375 forged flat top pistons w/ 1.25 C.H., rings and bearings included in the kit.

Balancing is an additional $250, but I will let my machine shop have that $$ because they already have my block

A few years down the road a big Ol' single may find its way inside the engine bay.

I will still be watching and drooling over the builds over here.

12. furious70

You've got a little scamp and a ready to run 413/727 and you only want to run 12.80's? That 62 model probably has small heads on it, but you shouldn't need to build a 470 to run that number. I'd be tempted to just stick that drivetrain in the car, put some 3.91's in the rear and see what it runs. Did you put that 8 3/4 in the car? Heck, try it with the 3.23's first, you may be surprised if the cam is still near a magnum type cam.

13. jwsewell

Well the 413 was the original plan. That was until I popped the heads and oil pan off for inspection.
    Yeah, it was rebuilt alright. Full of dirt and crud, bearings all beat to hell, (new but beat to hell), and the bores had massive ridges.

I priced out rebuilding this engine with overbore stock replacement cast pistons and I can get all new forged stroker internals for just a few more dollars than reconditioning the old crank, rods and boring the block.
    $1495 for Eagle 4340 forged 3.90 crank, 6.76 Eagle H-beam rods, Wiseco Pro tru flat top forged pistons, rings, rod and main bearings.

Its all about bang for the buck. And honestly who really belives I will be happy running mid 12's for more than a few months. LMAO!!

14. furious70

gotcha, that changes the story then. FWIW, a 400 or 440 block shouldn't cost you more than $100 and you'll get a much bigger bore and more piston choices and a 500" rather than 470. Might be worth the $100 for 30 cubes....

15. jwsewell

Yeah I got the 8 3/4 in the car and have been driving it daily. 60 - 65 miles round trip, rain, sleet and snow. Mini spool is no big deal on the street, just gotta pay attention.

The 470 stroker is based on a 400 block, not the 413 BTW.

I already have a "230" casting 400 block at the machine shop. But its not the cold weather block, casting date is 11/16/71.
    Its gonna be a 10:1 engine, but later down the road I can get some dished pistons when the need for boost comes on.

16. furious70

Have you verified the 400 block vs the pictures on 440source.com to tell whether it's the super beefy or just the beefy? I have one of the 630 casting 'regular beefy' ones saved back that I stumbled onto for free yrs ago.

17. jwsewell

Yeah I checked. Just plain ol' beefy. No super beefy for my build. Not really worried either. 8) Its a Mopar!

18. Fury Fan

Putting an RB in that A-body engine bay is a tight fit. Trying to fit a turbo in there is gonna be REAL tough.

For me, I'd say a boosted 318 would be more sensible (when you want to go boosted, anyway). Lower front end weight for braking and handling, and hood clearance could be preserved, also. A 470 will need a tall intake to breathe properly.

19. CW25

I would just find a old 360 and stroke it to 408 throw a 75mm turbo on it and call it done.

20. jwsewell

Well I am sure everyone knows the story,..... plan change, life happens ect.

I sold the scamp when I needed some cash to buy another pick up after totaling out my daily driver Nissan p/u

I do have plans for a MPT70 stock longblock 5.0L build for my 1984 V8 ranger. New thread coming for that one.