1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

valve spring question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 70wayfarer, Sep 23, 2015.

1. 70wayfarer

hey guys...may seem a dumb question, but do i need to look at increased valve spring pressure for boost. i know i need to upgrade the springs that came on my new eddy heads. it's a 360/410 sbm s475 looking at 18 ish psi max boost.

cheers

2. turbomalibuwagon

Not really, spec the springs for the cam and go for the stiff side of the spec you will be fine.

3. Mnlx

This is how I have always looked at it.... 18 psi on the back of a 2" intake valve will be trying to open the valve with approx 55 lb's of force, so I look for a spring that adds somewhat close to that in pressure. I'm sure its more complicated than that, but has worked so far.

4. 70wayfarer

cool, thanks guys.....read somewhere that boost can push a closed intake valve open if it has not enough closed seat pressure.
    cheers