1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Single turbo V6 design?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Brittbikeguy2000, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Brittbikeguy2000

Hello TTF world,

I am planning on building a single turbo 5VZ-FE, "Toyo 3.4l V6". I am only a novice precision fabricator and my custom-header experience thus far is limited to very basic 2-cyl motorcycle arrangements. Every single turbo V6 set up I see has very complex/very difficult to make headers that are way out of my league, especially without a mandrel bender.

My question is, why can't I run the turbo at the header collecter junction or later, and plumb the boost back up to the intake manifold?

I know it would be hell on a stock pair of headers, but really? Are there some laws of thermal expansion That would prevent me from doing this that I am missing or something,, I'm sure somebody on this forum is laughing at my noob question.. Lol. Please learn me

Thanks...

2. tbird

Do it. It works

3. B E N

Stock manifolds work great for turbo applications. If you are set on making your own manifolds just make some simple log style headers that suit your needs.

There are a multitude of stock manifold builds on this forum, start reading and enjoy.

flyinhillbilly likes this.
  4. Brittbikeguy2000

Wow,, I am surprised. I expected my idea to get shot down. I will read up on stock manifold builds. Thanks soo much for your input!!!. I will keep you guys posted on my project..

5. Forcefed86

Works great for the most part. Only issues I’ve had is sometime welding to cast material can be a problem. The newer manifolds seem to weld great (say 2000 on) Pre 2000 and especially the 60’s-80’s castings on SBC manifolds weld poorly IMO. I’m sure with the right equipment and procedures it could be done. But the newer stuff I just weld away with a MIG and little to no prep, preheat etc…

6. Drac0nic

That's because new manifolds are actually cast steel not cast iron.

[​IMG]#ad

These are for a Grand National. If you notice on the driver's side it's a header but there's not any reason you couldn't use a manifold. I'm planning something very similar for my Pontiac 350 actually. Stock driver's exhaust manifold and a log designed to be on the passenger side.

7. Forcefed86

Don't believe so... that's a pretty common myth floating around that keeps getting repeated. I thought the same. At least it's not true in the LS department. Had the shavings analyzed on one of the cast truck manifolds. Pretty much all iron. The spark color test also confirms it. I think there are just lest impurities these days and the castings are much more dense.

8. Mnlx

There must be something different about them because if you've ever welded "regular" cast iron (clean or not) (manifolds, or something like a cyl head) you know how tough it can be. Maybe they're more of a nodular iron?

9. Forcefed86

10. Mnlx

Interesting... any idea what the carbon content was? i'll admit that I don't know a lot about metallurgy, but we use a 4050 (.50% carbon) and its even tough to weld without the proper preheat.

Edit... I see they were 3.6%. I'm amazed at how well they weld...