1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Vacuum routing for twin turbo setup on Fox / Oil Feed Size...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 91Trunkster, Jan 3, 2018.

1. 91Trunkster

Setup is a 393w, Pony Down Twin Turbo Kit using 2 Borg Warner S366 Turbos and Tial 44mm Wastegates, I’ll also be picking up a Tial 50mm BOV. I have a vacuum block on the firewall, brake booster is deleted and the only vacuum source used is the FPR.

Is there a diagram on how I can route everything, Tial doesn’t have any customer service and the wastegate directions are terrible, plus the thing has like 100 ports on it. I also noticed the turbos don’t have a vacuum port anywhere, I do have a 1/8” npt bung pre intercooler that I could use.

Also what should I use for the feed, 3 or 4an, I’m using 10an for the drain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mnlx

-4 for feed. Waste gates to turbo or pre intercooler in your case. The gates should have ports below, and above the diaphragm. For non boost controller use, one of the lower ports should go to your boost source, the extra lower ports should be plugged, and at least one of the uppers needs to be vented to atmosphere (on each gate). FPR needs to be referenced under the throttle blades for efi, or to the carb hat if blow thru.

3. 91Trunkster

Few more questions:

1. Tial recommends 1/4” line that means I need 4an, my port on the pre intercooler pipe is 1/8” NPT, would it be safe to Y there to two separate 4an feeds to each wastegate?

1a. If I need a 1/4” bung to feed the wastegates, I could tap the turbo housings with 1/4” NPT and run short 4an hose to each gate.

2. I’m assuming I can leave the water ports open, are those just for cooling, if I needed to hook those up where would I tap into the coolant from?

3. When you say under the throttle blades you mean from the intake manifold after the throttle body, just confirming.

4. I found a website https://www.full-race.com/store/borgwarner-airwerks/airwerks-turbos/borgwarner-s300sx-91-79-turbo/ where the s366 is sold and listed 3an as the feed size and recommended using a restrictor for 4an, the internet is full of confusion, I just want to get it right the first time and not have to take things apart right away, final assembly is going to be like putting a puzzle together.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  4. B E N

It's pretty common to tap into the compressor outlet for the wastegate signal, that's how I set mine up and I noticed more accurate boost control there. You may see a pressure drop across the intercooler but you can make up for that in your springs or boost controller.

5. 91Trunkster

It’s pre intercooler the fitting

6. 91Trunkster

14868A47-C179-4C58-B311-ABFDE970511F.jpeg #ad
    Here’s a drawing of how I’d like to do it?

7. Mnlx

There's no reason to restrict a -4 with reasonable oil pressure, and a proper drain. Restrictors are a last resort imo. And yes, on the engine side of the throttle blades. Coolant ports can be open, and a "t" is fine with 1/8 pipe imo.

8. Disney Lincoln

BOV needs to get vacuum from the intake as well. Your diagram looks OK. I'd think for ease of installation you could just tap the compressor housing with 1/8NPT and run to each gate from there instead of crossing the car with hose.

I generally use 1/4 push lock style hose and fittings. A LOT cheaper than AN hose and fittings. I get most of that stuff from McMaster-Carr or Racepartsolutions.com