1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

V6 Remote turbo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by V6Bandit, Jun 4, 2020.

1. V6Bandit

Hi everyone I'm new here. Nice site.

Hopefully someone can help me with my unique turbo project here.

Basically I want to install a small turbo onto my 3.0 liter V6 Benz with an aluminum block. From what I read this car can take a small amount of boost no problem. I only will run low boost, between 5 to 7 psi max.

There is no clearance in the engine bay so i want to weld a small turbo under the car by one of the factory mufflers. (most likely will use a Garrett GT 2052 or similar, 38mm, A/R 0.51)

Right now the car has 2 independent exhaust banks coming off the engine, with 2 sets of CATS on each exhaust pipe +plus a mid body resonator/muffler and finally a set of big ole' factory mufflers on each tail pipe.
    So what I want to do is install an xpipe/crossover pipe to replace the mid body resonator and give some scavenging effect and I also want to replace the over-sized factory mufflers with smaller MagnaFlow free-flowing performance mufflers.

Finally I want to spin a single turbo off ONLY one of the exhaust tail pipes (2.25" pipes) by welding it into the back of the car between one of the rear mufflers, and then I will route the cold air pressure back to feed the whole engine through the the cars air intake box.

Crude Diagram:

|-----------||==={CAT1}===={CAT2}====|||||||{Xpipe}||||||||====[turbo]==={muffler}
    |ENGINE ||ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ
    |__V6___||===={CAT1}===={CAT2}====||||||||{Xpipe}|||||||==========={muffler}

My questions:
    Is there any problem doing it this way? Will I create an imbalance in the engine by have extra backpressure built up on the one bank spinning the remote turbo? I don't really want to run 2 turbos on both side because then I have to extra run oil/air lines/pumps and I don't need that much boost to begin with.
    Is this the right size turbo for this type of setup and engine, and boost level?
    Is there a better way to do this? Do i really need to merge the dual 2.25"pipes together with a Y into a 3" single and flange the turbo there? Or will my diagram above work ok?

The engine supposedly has very tight tolerance on the internals and its 3.0 liter aluminum block with about 10.7 : 1 compression ratio, but the factory MAF and fuel injectors can easily handle 7PSI boost. And there is already an oil tap plug built into the engine for testing the oil pressure that puts out 50PSI+ of oil pressure that I can use for the turbo oil inlet.

Can anyone help me with more info. if its possible to run this setup I can post some videos as well.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  2. 91turboterror

Running a single turbo off of one bank on a v6 motor isn’t gonna work too well. Has it been done yes. Saab did it. Didn’t make a lot of em I wonder why? I know why they are junk engines. Why not merge the pipes into one before the turbo or run small twins?

3. Disney Lincoln

Use a Y-pipe and merge both sides together into the turbo. Then you can split the downpipe into two and run dual tailpipes.

What body is this in that you can't find room up front for a turbo?

luckythirteen13 likes this.
  4. V6Bandit

Ok so if I merge both 2.25" pipes into one 3" pipe and feed the turbo off that will it work without creating pressure problems in the engine? It wont mess up or choke the engine by forcing the 2 pipes into a single pipe with smaller overall surface area?

5. V6Bandit

Ok so does merging both 2.25" pipes into one 3" pipe with a Y sound right? that wont mess with the engine pressure too much?

It's a w204 Benz body. I'm going to have to double check if there's any clearance under the hood, but i don't think so.

6. Disney Lincoln

No issue with merging 2.25 into 3" with a Y. Very common.

I was looking at the W204 body last year with an eye towards doing an LS and turbo swap. I thought they had a decent bit of room.

7. 91turboterror

If they have a c63 version which they do I’m sure it has more than enough room lol

V6Bandit likes this.
  8. XKfab

I agree there should be room under the hood for a turbo. A rear mount turbo requires more work but can work well. I have one on a srt6 ( benz amg sc 3.2 v6 pipes merged after cats into a 3" single back to the turbo. Turbo out split into 2 flowmasters then to the factory twin resenator. My turbo boost comes in at higher rpm as the factory supercharger starts to lose max boost 16psi at around 5k and with the turbo it has 20psi from 4k to rev limited 6.8k

9. sam51

I have a remote mount on my car, you need to merge the exhaust into 1 pipe to supply the turbo to make it run good. you could run it the way you described but it will perform better with both banks feeding the turbo. If you want to keep the banks seperate then use a twin setup instead of a single. my setup is 2 inch pipes from manifolds to a Y merge and a single 2.5 to the turbo. the down pipe is 3 inch to a 3.5 inch muffler and exit. I have some pics in the mopar section if you want to check them out.

V6Bandit likes this.
  10. V6Bandit

Cool man. But what is an LS swap? Do you mean engine swap? Can an LS engine fit in there ?

11. V6Bandit

Sounds like a nice setup you’re running. So if I put the turbo under the hood then do I have to modify the two factory exhaust headers? How would this be done? Do I cut holes in the headers and weld in pipes on each side and merge them to a flange for the turbo exhaust inlet to mount onto? If so what would be the best size for the holes / crossover pipes? Are their any diagrams available for a similar under the hood setup?

12. V6Bandit

Ok so how do I pull the exhaust off the factory headers? Do I have to weld pipes into both headers and merge into a single turbo flange? what about the down pipe? do I split that back into 2 to the cats? what size pipes do i use for all this?

13. 91turboterror

If a MB 6.3 fits in your car a LS most certainly will

14. V6Bandit

Wow that would be sweet. But would the LS be able to hook up to the factory 7g-tronic transmission? Would it mesh properly with the Mercedes torque converter an everything or would I need a new tranny? Also I read somewhere that the max torque the stock Benz w204 tranny can handle is somewhere in the 500ft. Lb range. So if you drop an LS3 and turbo it you might be pushing too much HP for the stock tranny to Handle if it ends up anywhere over 550 for sure..

Another question: are the mounts gonna line up the same or how would you adapt that to fit. It would need some major overhaul to make it fit don’t you think?