1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone run a SINGLE 50trim or similar on a fox

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by SL0W89, Aug 9, 2013.

1. SL0W89

Just curious if anyone has ever ran that small of a turbo or similar? Not looking to make godly power but looking for around 325-400rwhp'¦. Car will basically be stock daily except for maybe TB and ported explore intake, if that (of course fuel upgrades). I know a 62-1 with a .81 exhaust a/r is the best match for a stock car with full boost around 2800. But im looking to make full boost as soon as possible and taking it up to 5500-5700rpm... I know a 50 trim can make the power in that power range because that's basically the most common srt4 turbo upgrade and surprisingly their stock power range is right around the same as ours (yes I know one is an 8 and the other is a 4). Just wondering what the gurus think.

Turbo would be a 50 trim with .63 a/r OR similar.... Im basically looking for a super quick spooling turbo so i can leave hard on a 5 SPEED without a 2 step.

2. jridenour31

Going to need more specs than 50 trim. That gives zero information. A single gt35 would work OK but you won't be able to spin it too high.

3. 91turboterror

If you use to small of a turbo your gonna see boost real quick & choke the engine & never see 5500 rpm. You should get the correct size turbo.look at the compressor maps.

4. devo9er

If you're looking for less than 400whp why not just keep it NA and build a 347 or something. Plenty of torque right off the line just like you want. By the end of a turbo build you'll probably end up spending around the same or more than a stroker. Besides a turbo is a lot of extra hardware to worry about and more to deal with tuning etc.

5. Drac0nic

A 50 trim T3/T4 hybrid is considered a good match for an import. If it's a T3 compressor wheel that'd be even worse. More info is definitely needed but unless it's T6 you're barking up the wrong tree big time here.

6. SL0W89

Something along these lines of the link below... And the 331 or 347 would be a thousand or so more, remember this is a stock car.... I've seen alot of 62-1 set ups and even that small of a turbo have trouble cutting good 60fts with a 5 speed... Basically trying to find the smallest quickest spooling single turbo that will make power to 5500-5700 that won break the bank... I don't mind if it doesn't make a ton of peak HP just want something with a nice powerband that will spool almost instantly.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-060&Category_Code=TBO

7. jridenour31

There's really no reason to go super small. I'm sure the turbo you're talking about is 15 times too small, whatever the specs are. You really just need to get a t4 with a fairly small turbine and tight a/r. Making boost off idle isn't going to help anything and there's no way you're going to make boost that soon AND make power to 5700.

8. jridenour31

What 62mm are you talking about? If a 302 with something like a 6262 or 6266 has a crap 60', it isn't the turbos fault. Even without a two step, you should easily be able to cut low 1.7's. Just because the combos you've seen don't work doesn't mean you should handicap yours with too small a turbo. You can get a .58a/r 6262, there's no reason to go smaller.

9. devo9er

I guess the question is if its going to be a mostly stock daily, why do you need tons more power right off idle? Boost peaking in at 2800 sounds perfect for a street car. A first or second gear pull is going to have you in the rpm range and building boost before you can blink an eye anyway. Stock 5.0s have enough torque to get you rolling while the turbo takes over up in the R's. 290lbft stock is what make 5.0s fun beatin around town it's just they fall on their face not flowing to make hp up top. I've seen tons of near stock 5.0s cut 1.7-1.8 with just DRs, a little suspension and a good driver. I've also seen 500hp foxes struggle to cut 2.20 because they can't grip up...

10. Mnlx

I don't think i've ever come across a stockish 5.0 mustang that can do 1.7's with a stock gear, or a turbo friendly gear (2.73-3.27). I think that is one drawback of a mild small cid turbo car, you need to leave with boost to get a decent 60'....

As far as the 50 trim goes, you would be on the far right edge of the map with even a stock 5.0 (more than likely off the map), and like others posted a small a/r p trim would be as small as I would go (maybe a stage 5 t3, but at that point you might just as well go t4)

11. jridenour31

I've gone 1.82 or 1.83 with a 3.55 gear and a stock motor, just have to leave with a ton of rpm. Either way, if he's that worried about the 60', he needs to put a two-step on it. There's no reason not to.

12. Mnlx

I agree on the 2 step. I just didn't think they would go 1.7 without a drastic gear change, which is just the opposite of what most turbo setups like.

13. dyhar1

I've been 1.59 to the sixty with 3.55's on 28" tires with a T70/.68 with no 2 step

14. Mnlx

I guess i'm not looking at the right cars... lol Stockish 5.0 other than the turbo? 5 speed car?

15. dyhar1

Trick flow heads and a victor 5.0 intake

16. dyhar1

Yes 5 speed

17. PrecisionTurboMustang

A master power t70 with a .68 turbine was all the rage around here on 5.0's years ago. And they spooled very quickly.

18. Andy Dorsett

If the engine is stock it will respond quickly even with a decent sized turbo. That long runner intake and small cam will spool even a 70mm very quickly.

19. MONTEGOD7SS

So you're most concerned about how it will do on a drag strip, but have a 5spd in it? Get a good sized turbo so it runs good, and if drag racing is that important to you put an auto in it.

20. PrecisionTurboMustang

I have cut 1.6's in a 1.8 liter fwd Honda with a 5 speed and a 62mm turbo......