1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

need help

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 1sicbu, Dec 15, 2014.

1. 1sicbu

Im trying to see if someone can tell or show me how to run the vaccum lines for the wastegate,bov, and boostcontroller(manual).if u can help please do so.thanks.

2. Mike86Stang

Waste gate - reference line goes to your compressor cover or to your intake. Compressor cover will give you the most accurate waste gate response, your intake will work but you are more likely to see boost spikes.

With a manual boost controller, the reference line would go to the MBC first then down to the waste gate. You should have something telling which side is in or out.

Your BOV reference line should go to the intake no where else.

3. dragvw2180

I know you guys know alot more than I do but on my setup the manual boost controller is a little differant. From the referance line to a tee , one branch of the tee goes to bottom port of waste gate other to the boost controller, from boost controller to upper waste gate port. I have a lighter weight spring ( 10 psi) in waste gate but can exceed the spring pressure on mine to 28 psi . I know it is old tech but is the way I was taught. Mike

4. Mike86Stang

I don't see how or why you would do that?

So just so I understand, we will use 10 psi as our set point for an example:

Reference line to a T - One hose to the lower port:
    So there is 10 PSI at the lower gate pushing the gate open plus whatever exhuast pressure there is as soon as there is boost.

T to the MBC
    Then the outlet side of the MBC to the upper port:

Now the upper port will see 10psi after it reaches the max boost it's set for, so it would act to force the gate shut once you reach max boost (not saying it can or would)

I don't see the logic in this, it doesn't make any sense to me. Can you explain?

5. dragvw2180

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/wstgate.gif

This diagram is off Turbonetics website , I did not invent it, just happen to use it to control my boost beyond my spring pressure, LOL . It confused me all to hell also when my friend and mentor told me to try it. It works. This manual boost controller is no more than an air pressure regulator. Mike

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  6. Mike86Stang

That is strange to me, it seems that most people report having issues controlling boost properly with their wastegates set up as you suggest. Not saying that it can't work, just saying other peoples experiences and my way of seeing it, I don't know how that would work.

FWIW on my wastegate, on spring pressure alone, opens at 7 psi and so far have controlled it to 20psi as I have described.

bridal-shoal