1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Advantages of setting engine back with new K member 1 inch setback

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by cpurtellII, Feb 18, 2010.

1. cpurtellII

So I'm wondering if the weight and handling advantages are worth the hassle of setting the engine back one inch with my new k-member. I'm thinking I will have to make the holes longer on the trans crossmember and maybe cut some out of the x pipe. What will I gain with the setback ?

2. Wanderer

While it doesn't seem significant, you are moving the entire weight of the drivetrain towards the rear of the car. Obvious advantage for a drag car is leverage for transferring weight to the rear wheels when the nose rises. Hold a 5lbs weight at you side, arm fully extended, and then swing your arm outwards. Do the same thing but have that weight at your elbow. A lot easier to raise. Same concept when moving the motor back. Little stuff like that adds up.

3. cpurtellII

Yeah no that you say that your right not looking to drag much but probaly make it alot more fun to drive on the street too.

4. LowBoostinT76

If you have a k member that has the engine setback why not take advantage of it. It will make the car handle better and stop better as well without the weight out as far forward over the nose.