1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Unneeded mods when planning to turbo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mike2858, Jun 17, 2004.

1. mike2858

hey new to the boards---

i currently have a stock 02 gt and im really debating on getting a power adder for the future, still undecided between turbo and s/c. i wanted to know if you guys can give me a list of stuff that i should not buy if i plan on getting a turbo. i know in reality i COULD buy the stuff-use it for the duration of me staying N/A- and then sell on Ebay but i figured if its not going to be useful down the road i should just save the money. here is a list that i think is a start- if you have anything to add-take off feel free.

Cold Air Intake
    Headers
    Timing Adjust
    Pullies

2. 92FivePointSlow

i would take off cold air intake, headers and pullies. the cai and headers will be replaced with a turbo anyway. stay away from low gear rear-ends (3.73's and 4.10's)

3. dman

basically do nothing to the car.... all you'll need is bigger MAF, injectors and fuel pump if your going the turbo route. If you want Exhaust go with Dynomax Ultra-flo's but don't worry about an H-pipe just yet. You may end up with some custom work in that area but you can still use the cat back..

4. davidl340

If you have an automatic, I'd look into getting a good converter (PI stallion), you could go ahead and swap the gears to a 3.55 or 3.27.

A nice aftermarket ignition would be nice with a 2 step rev limiter. Some suspension work won't hurt, and it would help in the end. I'd just start saving the $$$$.

Don't bother with a throttle body.

5. lousblk01gt

I'd say any of those mods are almost worthless anyway. The small power increase can be completly overshadowed with any power adder.

Only the pullies would be compatible with a s/c or turbo system, but even knowing that I'd just save your money.

6. mike2858

i thought 3.73 would be ok but i wasnt rushing into those too fast anyways because-contrary to what i hear alot- i still think my mpg will godown. i already have 3.27's

i also already have an exhaust its a spintech side exhaust- i know if/when i get a power adder it will probably cost me GOBS of power but i dont think i can give it up. im trying to make my car a show car first and foremost. if/when i wont be looking to push my car to 500+ hp id be very happy with a "conservative" 375 or so just because i dont want anything to break. i figured eventhough i wont be getting anything soon i should learn now so i wont be rushing once i get the cash. thanks guys.

7. 92FivePointSlow

kepe the 327's and just put an electronic dump before the mufflers :tu: the mufflers can cost you in the area of 25whp

8. mike2858

good call man i totally forgot about those- i actually have the site book marked