1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Has anyone ever used McMaster Carr for rod bolts, head studs and such?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by Kellyo77, May 12, 2010.

1. Kellyo77

Was just flipping through the M-C catalog and saw that they carry some high-tensile strength bolts and studs and such. 170,000psi like ARP's standard stuff. I know a lot of guys use the ARP2000 parts that are rated even higher than that, but was just wondering. The cost difference is pretty substantial. Like $10 for 10 5/16" bolts for instance.
    I don't know, just a thought. Figured a budget builder may look at that stuff to see if there is anything worth trying. I know the life of a engine would depend on a gamble but, I may try it in a stock motor that you were replacing just rod bolts or something.

2. 10secgoal

Biggest reason I would say no is if the threads are cut instead of rolled, like arp. then you have even more of a binding problem when you torque, giving false readings.

3. Kellyo77

That makes sense. Didn't think about that.