1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Too much overlap from old blower cam! Need Buick GN guru's advise, or any other's

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Boosted Bird, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Boosted Bird

The car has a 3.8 V6 with a Borg Warner S375 turbo and the cam specs from the roller cam I just removed are

.605/.596
    230/236 @.050
    113 LCA

The cam I plan on having ground is still up in the air in regard to ideal profile, but I am considering something like so ... in a hydraulic flat tappet..

.550/.550
    220/218 @.050
    112 LCA

The cylinder heads that I also just removed were ported with max power in mind from the old supercharger setup. I have a new set of heads that I ported specifically for this motor with this turbo! port volumes are a lot less but CFM is higher due to the newer head design as a starting point!

My question is: that if port volumes are less with comparable flow and I have a cam that has less overlap... I should be able to still match previous hp but still make a lot more torque at a lower rpm due to the turbo spooling faster? correct? I know higher velocity will spool the turbo faster but in my case I dont want to hurt my topend!

The old topend setup started spooling around 2,800 rpm with a 1.10 a/r turbine and made peak power @ about 6,800 rpm. Once I get the new heads on I will see how the turbo responds but to start with I will be running a stock style late model cam:banghead: