1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

twin wastgates

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by fastgp, Aug 18, 2008.

1. fastgp

i seen a couple of cars lately running twin wastgates on single setups. what is the purpose/benefit of running dual wastegates. i think it would be to help bleed of some boost on the high(+30) boost app. but i thought i'd ask.

2. pontiac_baron

indeed....less boost creep

I like the idea for reliability
    A sticking spring could be awful dangerous...with two, you have a backup

3. Robert1320

Most times it is because they kept an old gate from a prior build and they bough another instead of getting one correct sized one.
    You need less gate for more boost and more gate for less boost.

4. Ackbar00

Bingo. That is why I did it on my old setup.

5. svooh

No you guys have it all wrong... the second gate is a dummy gate with a fogger nozzle inside it. Hook both up with braided line and you never can tell. LOL

6. Lil Big Mec

I think you are thinking of dual blow off valves. What would be the point of dumping nitrous/fuel into the exhaust?

7. Robert1320

It makes really cool flames out the exhaust.

8. ash

dumping the hi speed fuel from the mechanical injection does the saME THING.... :2thumbs:

9. Turbo_Baer

me too. one 38mm was just about enough for my p67. now with a larger motor and gt80r turbo, i felt i needed more gate to keep the boost lower. plus its $200 extra instead of buyin new flanges and re working the old one. just added a second to the other cross over pipe and was done. plus 2 38mm should outflow one 44mm

10. bet on black

i am going with dual gates to add some safety margin. i know it is not as likely to have a gate stick shut if it is a quality unit, but with two of them , the chances of popping the motor from overboosting due to a wastegate failure are reduced.

11. jay_rich

Baaahahah I was thinking the same thing.

Jay