1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

twin turbo'd 68 dart project

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by RamSST, May 21, 2007.

1. RamSST

I'm thinking of building a twin turbo'd efi dodge dart. I want a tunable hp from 500-1500 hp. I'd like manual but I think automatic may be the best choice for this. I can't find anyone who makes a good high horsepower manual9unless maybe a viper 6 speed not sure)

anyways. I'm thinking of building a custom intake runner setup something this this:

i'm not sure on the turbo but i'd run a fast ecu system(i thinkthats what its called) with an electronically tunable wastegate.

ANyone know what I should run fora block and bottom end. I have a 66 383 block here at home but I wnt something sturdy for when I bump up the boost. I was also thinking of using a 440 source bottom end kit with the pistons that are dished -.020"

Money is an object but I think if I'm going to spend the money on anything I might as well go for the best i can get

I was thinking of this block with a 440 source stroker kit:
    http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/426hecairstb2.html

that and a set of indy heads ported and polished and l ready and ready to assemble

If anyone can shead some light on how possible this plan should work will help me alot thanks

2. CW25

If money is a object then you should stay away from the custom intake. A victor or M1 converted to fuel injection will handle those needs.

3. RamSST

I was thinking of using a mass-flo efi system. Not sure whos intake they use they say they have an choice of intakes.

4. Matt Cramer

Apparently the Mass-Flo system simply uses a reprogrammed Ford EEC-IV computer. They don't say this on their website, but I've heard that is what the "production mass flow ECU" they use really is. Not sure on the intake part. I would not recommend setting this up without tuning, particularly if you are using electronic spark control - there is no way you can get a mail order ECU to have the right spark curve out of the box for your engine.

5. Anthony Fury

Yes, the Mass-Flow IS an EEC-IV. $4000 for a fancy polished EEC-IV. My favorite part is the fine print at the bottom that says it may need to be "re-flashed" for custom applications. Riiiiiiight. :lh:

A 1000HP+ fuel system (with injectors) will surely be $2000+ no matter how you low-buck it, so beware of that little hidden cost.

There are compression ratio charts for different combos on the 440source website....I seem to remember NONE of the stroker kits have CRs below 9:1, but that could be different now. Your Indy heads probably have a small chamber on them, too, so be careful there. Personally, I like less compression and more boost (which means custom pistons) - the arguments for a more aggressive static CR and less boost have some merit too, so search and read a few of the many many debates held on here, and decide for yourself. I would save money by not stroking and put it toward the rest of the combo, because you're going to need the $$$.

I'm not sure, but I think all those aftermarket blocks are either dead and gone, or a twinkle in someone's eye. You hear all about how a bunch of different ones are going to be available, but then try and buy one. World and MP have both promised them - make sure they'll actually send you one when you hand the money over, haha.

Do you have the Indy heads already?

NigelTufnel here switched from a Tremec (?) to a Glide at 900 or so ft-lbs because he was tired of breaking them....food for thought.

Otherwise, if you like welding and are ready to really experiment when it's finished, the intake idea looks good. But like CW said, a good Victor or M1 with injector bungs is all you really need. Check out Tilt's Coronet setup for inspiration.

6. Devilbrad

If you want an aftermarket block, you already found your source, 440 source. They are releasing a block that will be way better than a factory one, just call them and get on the list, they should be out soon. Their bottom end had proven itself. Use that and the Indy heads, low compression, and stick with a regular 4bbl single plane manifold converted to EFI. You can get the Viper 6 speed or a TKO 5 speed built to handle 900-1000hp. Just have to find the right companies. I have some links if you need them.