1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

93 LX Incon Twins

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by jwatts, May 28, 2014.

1. jwatts

I've had my 93 LX with intentions of throwing one or two turbos on it for a few years, now. The car has been ready for boostin', but I haven't had the motivation to finish it off. I threw some Subframe connectors, Tremec TKO and 3.27 gears along with Gt40 heads with 1.7rr and a first gen Edelbrock 5.0 Performer intake. It put down about 250whp and 290wtq. The next phase was ECU and fuel. I have already put a few thousand miles on a MS2 PnP unit with 60#injectors, a wideband and a Walbro 255lph pump. The Bluetooth app on my smartphone works pretty well to program the unit.

I went as far as building a set of headers for a twin scroll BW turbo with a 3.5" downpipe, although I had bought a set of Incon manifolds and downpipes previously. I even got an intercooler for it... for free. I just kind of ran out of steam on doing the single setup when I came to the realization that I don't have a 2-post lift and I'd rather not fab the single turbo exhaust on my back.

Fast Forward to 2014. I decided to go ahead and use the Incon manifolds so I could use the factory H-pipe when I have to do emissions here in the ATL. So, I just picked up a pair of slightly oversized, journal bearing T25 turbos from CXracing along with an front mount, twin intercooler and other small bits and bobs. The turbos were intended as a drop-in for a Nissan sr20det to replace its T25, so I had to get the compressor inlets and outlets in addition to the turbos.

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the ebay pic of the intercooler, which should arrive this week.

I just fabbed the notch plate, and will make some spacers for my solid motormounts pretty soon. I'll put the mounts in when I pull the pan to weld in the 2nd -10an bung for an oil return.

[​IMG]#ad

I've got a fair number of parts to fab, and hopefully everything fits in place. I'll be documenting progress, as it happens, and hopefully I'll finish it this summer.

2. boostcreep81

Looks nice, I wish I woulda went twins but stayed single. Idk what your goals are but those turbos are probably limited to 500hp or so(havent mapped them) on your motor. Theyll be a breeze to fit tho, T25s are pretty small compared to T3s even. They're gunna lite fast too, wont have much lag at all with them. Can always upgrade once you max them out, and you will since boost is addicting!

3. jwatts

The wheels are supposed to be T28 sized (60mm compressor) and the turbine has a .86 a/r. The wastegates are supposed to be set for about 8psi, and I have to fab a dogleg passenger side actuator rod and mounting bracket. Being a journal bearing setup, I don't expect it to hit max boost off idle, but I do expect it to be a kick in the pants. I'll be happy with anything north of 400whp at around 10psi... maybe more with the off-road x-pipe, etc.

I hope the compressor housing is closer to t25 size to leave some space for the oil and water lines. With bolt-on the compressor outlets adding bulk to the housings, it makes me a bit worried.

One thing that will be a challenge is that I want to try and do the install without pulling the motor. There may be some bloody knuckles involved.

4. boostcreep81

Oh, there will be blood!

5. jwatts

I've been shopping for exhaust studs. The Incon specs are M8x1.25 x1.0 36mm Long, but I can't really find a set with that spec. I'll probably pick something up that's close, and not ARP (insane prices for studs) and use the same pitch (1.25 on both ends) with some Stage8 locking nuts. It just looks like some of the nuts would be inaccessible with the manifolds and turbos installed on the car.