1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin turbo vega wagon

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by lsvega, Feb 26, 2014.

1. lsvega

I thought I would start a build thread on my vega. I have a 1976 vega wagon I got from a friends dad.
    [​IMG]#ad

When I got it home the suspension mount points were rotted out so I used an 87 s10 blazer 2 door 2wd frame I had laying around. The blazer was set up for a small block already so I wanted to use the driveshaft, fuel and brake lines so I stretched the wheel base on the vega to 101".
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The s10 frame is really tall through the seat section and went right under where the seat had to sit. I cut the center section of the frame out and built a 2"x3" rectangle frame section. I also pushed the rails into the rockers so the seats could sit lower. It is all tied together with 1" square tube center section and new floors and firewall.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

So here it is setting back on the frame.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I also put a manual steering rack form an 80 fairmont that I narrowed to fit to free up from room up front.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. jfive

Lots of progress! Friend of mine made it on pinks all out twice with a vega wagon. Should be interesting.

3. fastbarry

I like it!

4. lsvega

Now on to the heart of the beast. I have an aluminum 5.3l from an 08 truck. Deleted the DOD and got and ls9 cam to go with it. I also have a pair of 57mm turbos with .68 t4 turbine housings on a set of truck manifolds I modified.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The ls1 intake is not working because I could not get an elbow on the throttle body with the radiator in the car so i put my vic. jr. carb intake on and built an elbow to clear the hood. It is welded with my spool gun so take it easy on me.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I have recently purchased a 72 parts car and switched the frontend over to this. What do you all think of the change. I got the wastegates on and set the engine back 2" and bought an ls3 waterpump to give more room for the radiator and intercooler with the shorter nose of the 72.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

That is all I have for now. I hope I can get some more done now that the weather is starting to warm up a little. I leave with a few of the parts have waiting for now.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. Drac0nic

Those mufflers look like something from a big wrig! The rest of the parts and the fab work look amazing, she's really starting to come together. Are you going to use both pumps at once in the Holley or are you planning on having one on a boost switch?

6. lsvega

The hp computer will turn on the second pump in boost. The mufflers are from pypes. 3"x14" bullets.

7. M&M Turbochargers

looking good!!!! :popcorn:

8. lsvega

Thanks everyone!!

9. Rickracer

SWEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

10. luckythirteen13

not usually a vega fan but this one is bad a$$

11. lsvega

Thanks for the complements guys. I got the radiator in now. Don't have to hold it up with the jack any more.
    [​IMG]#ad

12. mustang-junky

Subscribing. Interesting build.

Jess

13. BoostedintheDesert

Very cool build. Will be watching this one. Nice work.

14. jetjoe

I always liked the earlier Vega front clip. Looks a lot like the early 2nd get Camaro. Where did you get the turbos and mufflers?

15. lsvega

Thank you. Any suggestions or questions are welcome also. Thanks again for checking out my build and the kind words.

16. Rickracer

I like the earlier front ends, :thumbsup: , if I can get my hands on one, I'll do that to mine too. Any idea how much weight you added with the S10 frame? I did a Checkered Racing 4 link back half on mine, and LOVE the way it came out.

17. AABob

There is some seriously cool engineering going on with this build.. Can't wait to see the finished product.

18. lsvega

No really don't have any idea on the weight. I wish I had thought of that before but but time I did I could pick the body up by myself and didn't see much point in weighing it then. I got lucky and found a deal on a parts car for the front end. I really like them too. How is your build rickracer?

19. Rickracer

20. lsvega

Well I got to work on the car a little bit the last couple days. I got the radiator mounted.
    [​IMG]#ad

I also got the fender and hood supports built. I don't have a pic of them. I will have to get one next time I am in the shop.
    I also got the driver side exhaust pretty well done. Needs the flex section added and the wastegate plumbed into the down pipe but pretty much there.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad