1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

v8 Turbo plumbing?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BrandonA., Dec 22, 2018.

1. BrandonA.

Hello all I am fairly new to using turbos. I added one to a 4 cylinder Isuzu impulse ten years ago with success but now I would like to add one to a V8 motor in my international scout. My question is this:

-do both exhaust manifolds need to run through the turbo on a V8 motor or is only 1 side needed to run through the turbo while the other exhaust bank can be run out like it normally would be without a turbo?

-The only reason I am asking this is it appears that the 70's "Macho T/A" trans am came with a turbo on the 400 V8 with just one exhaust bank running to the turbo so I was wondering what the positives and negatives are to plumbing the turbo with just one exhaust manifold vs. both?

THanks !!! Sorry if this is a dumb question but I need to formulate a plan before starting!!!!

2. 91turboterror

On a single turbo system both banks of a V engine supply the the exhaust to the turbo. On a twin turbo system one bank per turbo .

3. Mnlx

This has been discussed here a few times, and the short answer is that you want it fed by both banks.

4. Bad Medicine Racing

I don't think the macho ta was turbocharged. It was just a tuned up 400 with headers.

5. 91turboterror

There was an option for a turbo system on the macho TA. A single turbo supplied by one bank isn’t a good idea. Saab did it which was a crap design.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  6. Bad Medicine Racing

Cool. I worked on one for a guy several years ago. I had never heard of them prior to that, and did some reading on them and never saw anything about a turbo.

7. 91turboterror

upload_2018-12-25_21-20-10.png #ad

Bad Medicine Racing likes this.
  8. Bad Medicine Racing

I spotted that after I did a google search on turbo macho ta.

The one I dealt with was gold, but I don't remember if it was 2 tone. It had that same camel toe interior, and goofy 4pt roll bar as the car in the pic. Iirc this car had a butler 455 with edelbrock heads and a hydraulic cam. I know it had a very nice quadrajet and hydraulic cam because I set the carb and timing and adjusted the valves. It was a strong engine. I really didn't care for working on it because it was such a nice car.

9. B E N

That sounds quite exotic, did it smell.... fishy?

10. 91turboterror

Lmao

11. Bad Medicine Racing

Nah, had pretty much the same funky smell all the rest of the mid-late 70s American junk did.

(I saw what you did there...just glad you noticed what I did there)

B E N likes this.
  12. Bucky

I'm rollin here!:applause::applause:

13. BrandonA.

Can anyone give me the link to any conversations on here or anywhere else where they discuss why the single fed turbo is a bad design? I'd like to learn all I can about this subject.....Thanks!!!

14. Bad Medicine Racing

Exhibit A.
    https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/1995-3-8-v6-custom-turbo-progression-thread.384989/

This guy has tried just about everything people say will not work.

I don't understand why folks try to do things a different way from what is proven to work, and work well. I know it is easier to "just use one bank", but the entire package needs to be balanced. If you only use one bank, you are not taking advantage of all the drive pressure the engine has to offer. It also puts more heat and backpressure on that single bank.

15. BrandonA.

Thanks for the link and the logic behind it. That's what I was looking for actual reasons for using both banks and specific negative causes from using only 1 bank.....

P.S. checked out the link you sent me. It was (enlightening) to say the least......

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  16. 91turboterror

It’s one thing if a guy try’s to turbocharge one half of a V engine but to have a car company of “Swedish jet engineers” it’s a complete joke lol! If the other project they were working on was hilarious a variable displacement engine where the head moves up and down lmao! Good thing GM dropped Saab like a prom night dumpster baby ! Yes I was watching some Family Guy.

17. Mnlx

You would trying to drive a compressor large enough to feed 8 cylinders with a small enough turbine to be efficient with half of the exh energy. Its like a geo metro engine powering a 3/4 ton pickup....

It would also have two banks that want/need two separate ign, fuel curves, and valve events. There's really no positive.