1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo for a V8 two stroke

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Hillclimber, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Hillclimber

I have been building a Hill Climb race car here in the UK for the last 7 years powered by an Evinrude V8 two stroke, 3.6 litre, plus a CVT transmission. 350hp at 6500RPM.
    Last weekend I managed to get the car up a Hillclimb for its 1st race outing.
    In principle it went ok but a MAJOR problem with silencer(muffler) back pressure pushing lots of exhaust smoke into the car. So, I am now considering to fit one or two Turbos to try and reduce noise level and fit smaller silencer. I have to get to 105db to race. I don't need to Turbo the engine, only use the Turbo for its noise reduction ability.
    Any thoughts/comments which may get me to a better solution? Thanks
    2012-07-11 03.27.25.jpg #ad

Peter

2. B E N

A turbo is a terrible restriction if you aren't going to use the output. Additionally with no engine to push air against the wheels are going to overspeed badly, the turbo likely wont survive a single run, could be critical failure sending parts and shrapnel into you or bystanders. And turbos are incredibly heavy, especially compared to mufflers.

Why not design a more effective exhaust system? Multiple mufflers in parallel or series, Helmholtz resonators, more pipe length, there are a thousand better ways to quiet exhaust.

3. Bad Medicine Racing

I imagine it is quite a chore trying to fit 8 fat pipes, stingers and silencers in or under a car.

I would do the turbos, and use them as intended personally.

Who was it that fooled with the sleds around here? @Mnlx was it you?