1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Axial and Radial toerances.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by midnightlaundry, Oct 13, 2015.

1. midnightlaundry

How much is alright for a journal bearing Turbo?

2. Labyrinth

I use the following:

Housing journal to bushing OD=.002 max
    Radial play measured at the shaft end =.014 max
    Axial play measured at the shaft end .004 max

Larger tolerance is possible depending on turbo. The radial tolerance is based off of clearance from the wheel to the wall. Axial is the oil groove recess depth on the thrust plate.

3. midnightlaundry

Welp, I just got a twin set. I put my dial calipers on the flat of the turbine side shaft and the outer housing and got .024" on both Turbos. Axial play was barely noticeable.

I assume its alright since both Turbos are the same. I read that you need to compensate for heat expansion and oil film. But out of the box, that .024" wobbles a lot to the naked eye..

4. Mnlx

Its a hydrodynamic (oil wedge) bearing so as long as it doesn't touch the housings the radial is good. Also llike posted it varies turbo to turbo bbecause of tolerances, and shaft sizes. If axial is less than .005" when dry, I considered it good.