1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Slow going Lemans Blow through Build (Traditional Pontiac)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Drac0nic, May 2, 2020.

1. Drac0nic

This is going to be a slow going build. Going to try and finish up my Astro Van for the year (NA build) and am going to work on this a bit at a time as I go along. It's a 1971 Lemans 4 door post car with a 350 and SM326 3 speed currently. The engine definitely has a knock and it's wounded. Probably buzzed it one too many times or a bit too much timing.

This is what I'm thinking so far:

-Pontiac 350, just an assembled short block right now. I need to check for excess RTV and see what's in there. I need to finish the head porting job the previous owner of the engine started, do a base inspection of the rebuild and put it back together. It has an unknown cam in it. I filled the passages with aluminum since I don't want to have to make a block off plate. keepers and 7/16 BBC rocker studs with poly locks are a real possibility as well.

I need to fabricate a set of headers because the manifolds won't flip on this setup at all. I have flanges and some weld els but would need more parts for sure. Swapping to an SBC would net a huge amount of space and the ability to use flipped manifolds. Tempting...................

I need a flexplate to make this work instead of the flywheel.

Carb:Holley 750 DP I started modding out already. Should probably trade it for a 600 if I can find one.Have a jet kit, jet drills, jet extensions, solid floats and a box of brass set screws to drill and tap the emulsion bleeds for. This would run on a heavily modified stock 4bbl intake with an adapter plate.

Transmission (options):
    -Keep stock SM326. If the trans its self isn't cannon fodder the clutch surely would be. Would need parts to swap an SBC on to it.
    -TH400 I have sitting in the garage. It's from a Grandville, whatever that was. Stall is probably 1200 or similar. I have a B&M Starshifter for it as well. Would need drive shaft, mybe a few minor things like a kickdown switch and a vacuum line/check setup.
    -The 700R4 I pulled from the Astro Van. BWAHAHAHA.....No.

Turbo(s) (options):
    -Pair of GN Turbos. Have flanges for inlets not for outlets. Internal WG which is nice. These seem like they may be small even on a lightly modded 350 Pontiac.
    -Detroit TMF5502. Everyone says these are slow spooling, so they hear. Never actually seen anyone run one. It's basically an S400 sized frame and 71mm. Would use ATR gates I have laying around with it. Have inlet flange no outlet.
    -T66 on center .69 turbine P trim wheel. old school Turbonetics. This seems to small by many but it's actually a darn decent match in my estimation. Would use ATR Gates I have laying around with it. Have flanges for it

Axle:
    Absolutely nothing except add 1/2 wheel studs. Maybe. It's an 8.2 which isn't the strongest axle out there but it's also a BOP 8.2 which provides the benefit of bolt in axle shafts which means I probably won't die if it gives up. It has a limited slip in it and is 3.23 gears which is not horrible.

management:
    Car currently has a Megasquirt I in it for HEI timing control. I'll also be adding an AEM wide band. Ignition will be a 1981 Pontiac 301 dizzy (computer controlled HEI) that will have an aftermarket coil and hopefully something like an MSD box eventually. I may hack in a Vortec 350 ignition module and coil since supposedly they're really good.

I realize that there's probably some bad ideas in here (notably the dual plane intake and possibly turbo selection.) I would peg this engine to make say 250hp on a darn good day. Compression is gonna be about 7.6:1 if I had to guess.

Fuel system:Going to get a stock GN tank and stick it in. I have a 307M from another build I'll probably use. Should be adequate for a blow through. I want to run a 6 or 8AN line up front. I have an Aeromotive regulator already that I picked up cheap (say $50-75 with the lines and fittings.)

manifold.jpg #ad

pontiac_head_filled.jpg #ad

regulator.jpg #ad

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. Drac0nic

Got a piece of the fuel system over the weekend. It's a Grand National gas tank. I'm going to use my Astro's old sender as the bits to make a custom sender. I Found this bulkhead fitting on Amazon that goes from 5/16 to 6AN so I figure that's what will get used to hook the fuel pump in. I'm still up in the air on the electrical and the return line as of now but I think that'll be pretty straight forward. I have an old school GSS307 sitting around I plan on using for now as well. I'm thinking 6AN feed line (how much HP am I good for there on a blow through) with a stock feed line as a return.

tank.jpg #ad

307.jpg #ad

3. tbird

The gn turbos should work pretty good. Depends on your goal.
    A single gn on a 4.3 is done at 4600 rpm and squeezed hard to 400ish. Two should get you to 5800 and over 700hp.
    Look back and see how much the Grenade made on two GNs and it should give you a good ref point.

4. Disney Lincoln

^^^^ This is what I was going to say, except without all the useful information.

tbird likes this.
  5. Drac0nic

Sounds like that's the way I'm planning at the moment. It'd save me having to do a crossover pipe which would be a not terrible thing I think.

Not sexy but part of my build. I made a spreadsheet of stuff I need. I need to make a part of it with required actions listed.

Pontiac 350 QTY on hand
    cost projected
    Weld Els 1.5” 8 4
    30 currently 60
    Carb bonnet 1

log collector 2” 4

GN Turbos 2
    CL Purchase 125
    wastegates 2 2 built into GN turbos; externals on hand as well X
    GN turbo inlet flanges 2 2 Ebay purchase 25
    GN turbo outlet flanges 2
    may have something suitable to use/make?
    header flanges 2 2
    GN gas tank 1 1
    sender 1 under construction

fuel filter 1
    Walbro Strainer+line filter
    Fuel pump 1 1
    6AN hose TBD

6AN bulkhead fitting to 5/16 1
    convert in tank to AN fittings for runs
    valve springs 16 16 Use NOS off of 1973 heads 0
    head bolts 1 set 1 set Re-use old head bolts 0
    head gaskets 2 2 NOS Felpro 350P gaskets 0
    Holley 750 DP core 1 1 Got with Astro van 383 0
    holley rebuild kit 4779 1

Holley floats/extensions 2 2
    Holley needle seats 2 2
    holley jet kit 1 1

Bypass FPR 1 1 CL purchase Aeromotive 13202 50
    holley inlet fittings 8AN 2

10 ORB to 6AN 2

8 ORB to 8AN 2 2 came with FPR

8 ORB plug 1 1 came with FPR

8 ORB to 1/8 NPT 1 1 came with FPR

vent tube extension materials

#6 tap

#6 set screws for carb hole blockoff

Mcmaster Carr

TH400 transmission 1 1 CL purchase 125
    TH400 shifter/cable 1 1 CL Purchase B&M Starshifter 50
    TH400 shifter install kit 1
    check boxes for parts. May have?
    flexplate 1
    Rockauto 30
    flexplate bolts 3

converter bolts 6

cooler lines 2
    get line to make?
    trans cooler 1
    use internal? JY extra?
    vacuum line for TH400 modulator 1
    bend up
    check valve/bleedoff for 400 modulator 1
    make/MBC?
    kick down switch TH400 1
    check switches in collection; probably have something
    drive shaft 1
    JY check after trans in
    50-225
    torque converter 1 1 try to find performance model upgrade

down pipe material various some mandrel bends, straight piping etc.
    0-10
    intercooler 1 1 big single 3” Ic, optional CL purchase 50
    couplers, clamps, etc. various

oil return fittings turbo

need bungs welded into pan
    oil feed fittings turbo

need bungs welded into pan
    oil/filter

ATF

shift kit

optional?
    power valve

check rebuild kit for ratings
    X
    ignition upgrade

MSD box? Vortec module? Aftermarket coil already from 383
    ?
    spark plugs

NGK UR6 (check if Astro plugs compatible)
    0-20
    ignition control

MS1 200
    distributor

CC HEI 81 trans am 30
    wires

Accell Super Stock new from swap meet 20

Gen 2 engine:

forged std bore TRW 350P slugs 8 8

tomahawk rods 8

bearing and gasket kit 1

cam shaft/lifters 1

valve springs 16

Valves (+.2) 16

pushords 16

7/16 rocker studs 16

poly locks 16

6. Drac0nic

Well that seemed to butcher the formatting. I'll try to upload it somewhere and add a link.

7. B E N

Screenshot it and paste it to word or excel or whatever then you can save as jpeg and post that.

8. Drac0nic

Google Drive Doc. Easy enough.

9. Drac0nic

I found the outlets for these accidentally today. I ordered up some Walker ball sockets and I accidentally got the wrong size for the socket part. Looking at the ball part I decided to see how it looks on my GN Turbos. It seems to fit perfectly, I just need some spring bolts to get it mounted. The part is Walker 41723. It seems as if I have the basis for my down pipes now.

[​IMG]#ad

10. Drac0nic

Not much to report but I wanted to record a PN for my reference. S13017 by Precision Fuel Pumps fits a Walbro GSS307 fuel pump with the big inlet. The application is a 93 Chevy Corsica. I'm surprised they still have any demand at all for parts from one. :rofl: :rofl:

11. Drac0nic

So I got one of these little fellas (ICT PN AN861-06-31A) and I'm thinking that's going to be my ticket to getting the plumbing in. Am I on the wrong path here or is 6AN feed good enough for this part? I'll post a few more legit pics when I get a bit more towards a sender. I'm going to graft a left over Astro Van sender to fit into a GN gas tank. Should be utterly horrible or work awesome not entirely sure of what way that will go.

ANbarb.jpg #ad

12. Disney Lincoln

I think it'll do just fine.