1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin turbo cobra fuel/tuning questions

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by TFS_Notch, Jun 4, 2013.

1. TFS_Notch

What's up all, I have a '98 Cobra with twin 61's on it, currently tuned with a Diablo chip, and as far as fuel system, it runs a single Ford GT pump with a boost a pump, 60lb. Injectors, (and meth injection if that matters) and it made 547rwhp at 11psi on pump gas.

I'd like to run somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 pounds, to get the car in the mid 600's, but I also want to get a better engine management system before I do so to keep everything really safe. So here are my questions:

Is my fuel system good for my power goal? If not, what would be the next step in fuel pump without going too crazy?

Secondly, I'd like to run an AEM ems because I know a tuner somewhat local that is an absolute genius with them. Do they make them for a 96-98 Cobra? I've heard you can run one, but you have to get creative with the crank trigger, coils, etc to make it work.

If not the AEM, any other recommendations on engine management? Drivability is as important if not more important than max HP numbers. One last question, the car currently does not have a bov, so would you guys recommend one? I is a blow through mas, so beat place would be right after the intercooler, before the mas?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. Matt Cramer

60 lb/hr injectors are a little iffy for mid 600s at the wheels. They'd be about right for low 600s at the crank, unless you up the fuel pressure. The GT fuel pump also sounds like it's out of its recommended range at that point. An Aeromotive 340 Stealth or the equivalent (this one may not actually be made by Aeromotive, and there are a lot of private label versions out there) would be a reasonable choice.

Not in a plug and play fashion. There's their Infinity wire-in ECU, which sells for around $2,600, if it fits your budget.

[advertisement]
    May I suggest an MS3-Pro if it doesn't? :D

[​IMG]#ad

[/advertisement]

In addition to the AEM Infinity and MS3-Pro, the usual domestic EFI companies have options here - a FAST XFI with XIM, BigStuff3, or the new Holley HP or Dominator can work here.

Also note that the AEM Infinity has nothing in common with the previous AEM engine management other than that they are both distributed by AEM.

I would use one. Most standalones are speed density, so you'd be ditching the MAF anyway.

3. TFS_Notch

So an aeromotive stealth, and a jump up to 80lb injectors may be in order huh? Okay, doesn't sound too bad.

The MS3 looks pretty bad ass actually. It would offer enough tuneability for my goals you think? Price isn't bad either from what I see on your link.

10-4, and thank you very much for the reply.

4. Matt Cramer

Definitely - we've had the MS3 on a 2000+ hp Bonneville racer and some other pretty wild builds. It has the option of running model based acceleration enrichment and individual cylinder trim tables (not a fixed percent as with some of the other ECUs) if you want to REALLY take the time to get it dialed in, although this is a bit time consuming and most tuners don't take things to quite that level.

5. TFS_Notch

Thanks a lot man, appreciate the replies. I'm definitely gonna do some research on the MS3 and talk to my tuner about it.

6. TFS_Notch

One more question for you Matt if you have a second. I've read up on the "how to megasquirt your modular" but does that only apply to the other systems, and not the MS3-Pro? In other words, what all would I need to order to make it work for my car? Thanks a million!

7. TFS_Notch

Another question, without going to an external/sump setup, what are the '98 Cobra guys specifically doing for a fuel pump setup, since they seem to be a bastard year regarding the tank/pump basket setup. I don't think the aeromotive stealth pump would work on a '98 without some pretty extensive modification.

8. got9lbs

9. Matt Cramer

The MS3-Pro has its own manual, but you can feel free to copy over the modular motor wheel decoder settings into am MS3-Pro; the wheel decoder is pretty much the same from MS2/Extra through all MS3 variants.

10. TFS_Notch

Cool thanks!