1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Not Turbo But Boosted BBC Boat Project. EFI 8-71 Lots of pics.

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by T.J. 87-GT, Mar 8, 2008.

1. T.J. 87-GT

I decided to machine the injector pockets on my plate for my 8-71 BBC EFI Jet Boat project.
    All in all it came out great. I took my time, did some simple math and measured 3 times. I bought a 14mm injector pocket cutting tool from Ross machine. I am using 96 Lb Rochester style injectors. This took about 30 minutes or so to do. Next up fuel rail machining from Ross Machine fuel rail stock

Here is a critical part if you want your project to be straight. Indicating the fixed jaw of the vice. I am only .0003 (that is 3 tenths of a thou.) out from one edge to the other.
    [​IMG]#ad

After Locating the edge of the part with an edgefinder I was able to use the digital readout. Here is the cutting tool ready.
    [​IMG]#ad

After doing some simple math I found the points to where to machine the holes for the injectors. Here is the first hole spacing. Notice the Y-Axis is 0000. This is the center of the plate. This should not move during the whole process.
    [​IMG]#ad

Notice the tink marks from the cutting tool in the alum. What I did was space out using the digital read out and then make sure I had my math correct.
    [​IMG]#ad

Here is the first hole cut.
    [​IMG]#ad

Checking fit up and the depth. This is critical. I had to machine, clean and check the depth a few times to where I wanted the injector to sit. I then set the Z-stop and all the other holes were all the same depth.
    [​IMG]#ad

A few minutes later and all the holes are done for one side.
    [​IMG]#ad

Flipped over the other side. Notice the angle plate acting as a "stop". This lets me keep the tool in the machine with out taking it out and finding the X and Y edges again.
    [​IMG]#ad

Here is the plate mocked up with the injectors set in place.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. Mark55

That looks like a good start there.
    Thanks for putting up your DIY pictures.

I've seen where they block off one of the butterflys when using an Enderle injector for a throttle body to get some resolution to the throttle.
    What did you have in mind for that ?
    The Enderle's look cool and there's no disputing that. :2thumbs:

What ECU are you going to use ?

3. T.J. 87-GT

Yes Mark only the center one is functional. The others are blocked off. I am thinking on going with the Accel thruster. It will only be batch fire so I do not need to mod. my dist. or get a crank trigger set up.
    T.J.

4. notched306

blowers are so sexy :2thumbs:

5. Mark55

The only configuration I've ever used is multipoint where all the injectors fire at the same time and it has worked fine for me.
    I still have a crank trigger and a hall effect sensor. I wasted a lot of time trying to get a good trigger signal out of the distributor.

Maybe Don could give some input about sequential over multipoint.
    It doesn't seem like our moderator gives much input here. :huh:

6. T.J. 87-GT

Ok today I machined the fuel rails matching the numbers on the digital readout from yesterday's injector plate machining. Rails are -10AN from Ross Machine. I have to devise a way to hold the rails to injector plate. Some sort of bracket. I might use Ross machine mounts for this.

Here we go. Cutting the fuel rails for the length I think they are going to be. I have never done this before and I am learning as I am going.
    [​IMG]#ad

Even though my saw blade is damn near square to the saw vice I always square my materail in the Bridgeport. It just makes it easier in the long run. This also allowed me to get the rails exactly the same length. I also calculated for some "hang-over"
    [​IMG]#ad

Another critical point to mention. The rails are round so they want to move around in the vice. You can see some square key stock I cut to hold them close to square. I finished up indicating the rails to the spindle both X and Y.
    [​IMG]#ad

The Ross Machine tool is well worth the money. I set the depth and machined away.
    [​IMG]#ad

Here they are all done except for the threaded ends. I need to mock up first to see if I need any trimming. Sweet huh.
    [​IMG]#ad

Mocking up. Damn this is cool.
    [​IMG]#ad

Sorry for the poor pic. I don't know what happened.
    [​IMG]#ad

Yup, interference as I thought. The throttle position sensor hits. I marked it and will trim it. Good thing I left some hang-over. Once I get the length to where I want I will machine them for -10AN O-ring with the O-ring boss tool from MSC$$.
    [​IMG]#ad

7. GAWnCA

Nice work T.J. I love seeing things made at home. Now if I can only get my small CNC mill up and running, I'd be happy. I never need anything big machined so a small metal late and mill are needed as well.

8. BOSs5.0

Do you think that bit can handle steel fitting if needed? Just curious.
    Thanks for taking the time to show us this. I'm on the fence of buying on of those bits just for how cool it is.

9. T.J. 87-GT

The bit should handle steel. Use some lubricant when doing using steel too.
    T.J.

10. lteone

nice job! I guess i need to order one of those ross machining tools

11. thesled

make one? looks like a standard twist drill just ground A LOT

12. T.J. 87-GT

Yup it is a HSS drill. I forgot the size. If you know someone with an OD grinder it can be made with ease. My buddy had an OD grinder but he moved.
    T.J.

13. thesled

give me some measure ments and ill try and make one.

14. T.J. 87-GT

The only thing is maybe a 14mm end mill(48.00 at McMaster). But the key here is set the Z-stop on the Bridgeport so once you verify the depth of what you want you keep the same tool chucked up for the next holes of your mounted work. Using end mills and then drills or vice versa do not allow you to do this, requiring more depth checking thus more time because of tool changes. The ross tool is 129.00. Well worth doing what I did. And the person who posted about the uni-bit has no clue.
    T.J.

15. lteone

i agree especially the last part.. but for some that will never use the tool agian there where some other ways of doing it.. all I was trying to point out..

Your looks top notch.. I have a buddy that needs to make some too hopefully i can split the cost with him.

16. BOSs5.0

17. thesled

just a little time on a cylindrical grinder?

TJ' I'd just use a 14mm slot drill to hit the first dept and Diameter then drill through, and chamfer... :stupid:

18. T.J. 87-GT

Update: Got a lot of work done. Machined the -10AN fuel rail ends for o-rings and threads. Machined fuel rail stantions, mocked up fuel rail crossovers. Mocked up the blower pulleys and the alternator mount. I have to change it now cause I went crank trigger so spacers are needed. Machine the Dyers lower intake for valve cover boss clearance. Made a new TP's bearing housing for clearance of the fuel rails.
    Note the pics are not in any order really, just a lot of pics.

Next up machining a JIG for cutting a double keyway in the crank for the ROMAC blower balancer.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

19. lteone

looks killer!

20. iffy

Wow man you are lucky to have this it looks great.