1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can I run Gen 4 rods in a Gen 3 engine Video

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by 55Chevy, Jul 13, 2017.

1. 55Chevy

Finally made a video showing the difference between the G4 and G3 connecting rod weights. Also recommendations from top engine builders on compatibility.

2. Drac0nic

Unless you're scoring a set on ebay used/cheap, I don't know if I'd go this route. I'd be giving the LSA rods consideration. The interwebs found show them at ~696G. Seems like you can get em for $35ish each.

Barefootrob2019 likes this.
  3. 55Chevy

You can buy the SCAT ProComp I-beam rods for around $350.00ish a set 6.100" press or floating pin and they are a direct drop in no balancing needed.
    I'll have to research those LSA rods, what are they? They're definitely heavy, would need a rebalance if used in a 5.7/5.7/6.0

4. Drac0nic

The LSA engine is what's in the factory supercharged Camaros and CTS-V cars. Not going to say they're the best rods, but I would expect them to be pretty decent good for the money. They are likely used as a cost reduction measure compared to the 'vette LS9 Titanium rods. I would certainly be curious to see a side by side with a Scat.

5. 55Chevy

I'll make a video when I get my Scat rods. Check this out:

Barefootrob2019 likes this.
  6. 434chevelle

I’ve got a set of these in an lq4 in my 66 Chevelle. I shift at 74-7500 with the rev limiter set on 8000 and it’s seen the rev limiter a lot on the street. The car weighs 4200 race weight and I haven’t been able to get it to hook yet but it’s ran 9.33 at 155 before it broke a turbo. I checked the rod bearings before I throw another pair of turbos on it and they look great.

55Chevy likes this.
  7. 55Chevy

Are you running the Scat rods or the LSA?

8. 434chevelle

I’m running the scat rods