1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin turbo 93 LS Notch Build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Forcefed86, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Forcefed86

Goal is to make a relatively cheap (quiet) street friendly comfortable car, not a track car. Using factory wheels and a 245/50/16 Nitto drag radials with traction control. Will be on E85, non-intercooled. Hoping to finish this thing for as far under 10k as possible.

Spent 3k on the Roller. It’s a beater on the outside. Original 4 cyl car. Lots of hail dents, scratches, missing paint etc. So I won’t be afraid to drive it anywhere and the inside is in decent shape.

Came with the following:

AJE tubular K-member, Control Arms, and coil overs (front only).
    Granitellie caster/camber plates.
    Flaming river manual rack
    Maximum motorsports adjustable tie rod ends, and steering shaft
    Cervinis Cobra R hood
    New carpet & headliner
    Aftermarket seats
    Dynamat entire floor pan
    B&M hammer shifter
    Misc gauges/pods
    8.8 rear

[​IMG]#ad

Going with 72/68’s this time. T3 housing that they claimed are .84AR (looks much larger). Seem to have little extended tip compressor wheels on them. Hoping it’s a “new age” copy compressor wheel and puts out some good flow.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. Forcefed86

Few little updates.

Removing all the unnecessary wiring and crap. Down to ignition, head lights, wipers, and interior fan. Can't decided if I want to keep the heater at this point or not. This bucket was over 55lbs last I checked. Gets heavier every day!

[​IMG]#ad

Did a little pressure cleaning and rattle canned the engine bay. Previous owner used some sort of spray on some bed liner. (and managed to overspray half the car with the stuff). I hated the flat black, so I went with a satin black. Looks much better IMO. Pulled a good 3 lbs worth of wet leaves/mud form the fenders and in the wiper area behind the firewall. Surprisingly, no real rust to speak of though.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

- - - Updated - - -

Few of my china goodies came in. $144 rear sump oil pan.

[​IMG]#ad

$50 044 surge tank. (got 2 of these in case 1 AEM380 isn't enough)

[​IMG]#ad

"roastin240" hooked me up with 2 of these for $115 shipped. Not my first choice color wise, but saved me a little $.

[​IMG]#ad

Kinda stuck at this point. I really need a trans so I can get the motor positioned to work on the turbo kit. Can’t find a mildly built TH400 within 200 miles of me! Pretty frustrating. May have to build a core if I can’t find something soon, that’s never the cheap route!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  3. Forcefed86

Scored a pretty healthy TH400, just rebuilt, zero run time. Was behind a buddies 1000hp SBC with a 300 shot on top. Should be more than enough for the mustang. Hope to test fit the motor/trans this weekend.

[​IMG]#ad

4. 73 nova

Following along. Can you measure the oil pan for me. I'm needing a different pan on my nova swap.

5. racesloth

looking forward to this build...

6. ashford

do you want a mind blower. the stock shifter works with a 4l80e if you cut and bent the shaft then use a universal b&m shift bracket on the arm

7. Forcefed86

I had heard that. This roller came with a B&M hammer shifter that has several shift patterns. I see the TH400 listed, but don’t see anything about reverse manual valve body shift patterns, which is what this TH400 has.

8. Forcefed86

9. hoopty5.0

10. dwhip361

Will definitely be following this build. Are those Chinese turbos?

11. Torrance

12. Forcefed86

Think I'm going with this turbo positioning...

[​IMG]#ad

Don't think the SSR intake will fit without major work. Probably run ls1/ls6 style instead.

[​IMG]#ad

Extended the light wiring harness and tucked it in the driver side fender with the main/starter relay...

[​IMG]#ad

13. 92LX-5.8

Love where this is headed. Is it going to replace the RX-7?

14. Forcefed86

Nah, this will be the fair weather driver. Keeping it nice and streetable. RX7 will stay a track toy.

15. 73 nova

Any measurements on the oil pan? I like where this is heading.

16. rfalker1

does not look very very weather too me! but nice progress!

17. Disney Lincoln

I am supremely disappointed this thread wasn't about a triple turbo LS Mustang. You've let me down.

18. Forcefed86

I was so tempted! I figure triple's would have killed the re-sale value. I'll throw triple setup on a truck or something after the mustangs done.

19. Forcefed86

Made a little progress today...

Quick and dirty hotside is done. All mild steel 2.25". MIG welded. I'll wrap them towards the end. Got a killer deal on the blue WG's. I'll probably paint them, but they aren't really visible when installed.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Popped off the oily exh housings and cleaned/painted with the BBQ grill paint. Awesome paint if you've never used it. Holds up great, even on the exhaust housing. These will get a blanket eventually as well.

[​IMG]#ad

After welding up the manifolds I went to check the flange flattness. These weren't too bad, but I block sanded them with some 80G to clean them up. Could still used a little work.

[​IMG]#ad

Grabbed a $40 alternator bracket from Billet ICT. (right down the road from me i. wichita KS it turns out) Buddy also gave me a LS1 manifold. I'd have plenty of clearance with it, but I'd still like to use the SSR manifold if I can make it fit.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

$450 TIG welder showed up too. Played with it a little. Need to setup a bench of some sort, hard to operate a foot pedal sitting/welding on the ground! I'll get to play with this more on the cold side. I'd never even held a TIG torch before. Just watched a youtube video and went to town. If the welds on my piping look that good I'll be more than happy with this welder.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

20. hoopty5.0

They're great little welders but I still highly suggest ordering a gas lens. The cups that come with it arent that great. I'm just finishing up my hot side with the TIG and sadly, it doesn't look quite as good as I'd hoped. But all it takes is more practice and actually taking the time to clean the insides of the pipe as well.