1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Water/meth injection pre-bov?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 89coltgt, Nov 19, 2010.

1. 89coltgt

I am going to run water/meth injection on the truck and was going to install one nozzle right after the compressor outlet. With that said, is there any issues with venting a 50/50 mix of water/meth in the engine bay? I am mainly concerned about the atomized mix combusting if it were to contact a hot exhaust component, if the mixture is even capable of combusting like that. Here is a pic of my hotpipe setup, I will have the tial bov mounted in front of the engine, under the pipe:

[​IMG]#ad

2. 70 bird

I have done pre bov water/meth for 3 years with no problems. The risk is there for fire above 50% alcohol mix, but I have ran 100% meth with no issue. I think the biggest risk is getting into an accident with 100% meth and the tank is damaged it will burn with an invisible flame, not a good thing :doh:

The only other things I can add is if you run cheap blue washer solvent it will leave a residue on your engine parts and you can smell it inside the vehicle when the bov dumps.

3. wantabe

i wouldnot take the risk

4. turbocoronet

I'm spraying 875cc/min. pre blowoff valve and the only problem is it makes a mess on the shiny parts. :2thumbs:

5. 89coltgt

Thanls for the replies fellas. Are you guys running tubular headers also? I will probably run one of the 50/50 mixes that are available and clear in color instead of the blue stuff ;)

6. livefast1

From being a pyro and lighting meth on fire before. . . . I wouldnt do it. My luck would be to burn through a plug wire and the arc be enough to cause a kaboom. You could always just recirc your bov though.

7. AIS

Mounting the nozzles before the BOV will give you a quick puff out the BOV when you pull your foot out of it. You can always make a deflector on one side of the BOV to keep it from puffing in a certain direction. To help keep it from misting the engine engine side.

Rodney

8. turboplymouth

Yup, not too much comes out. i think a lot of the meth is vaporized by then. btw, less than 50% meth is flameable too, I tried it. actually the 20 below ww fluid would burn.

9. AIS

Hmmm, I haven't been able to get the windshield washer fluid to burn when I tried lighting it.

Rodney

10. turboplymouth

idk, i dumped some on the ground and lit with a propane torch, just a very, very slight flame, only stayed lit for few seconds. Haven't tried spraying a fine mist on a 1500 deg header :D .

11. ocshaman

When testing some WWF I got a nice big flame in a hot pan with a 40% meth fluid