1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin Turbo 460 ford advice

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by fordtechguru, Oct 14, 2016.

1. fordtechguru

Planning a tt 460 for my jet boat this winter. Currently have a cobra jet headed tunnel ram water log setup. Planning twin gt45 turbos, megasquirt 3, 96 lb injectors, machining the tunnel ram top off and fabbing a sheet metal top for it. Probably 7 psi boost. Jet is an a impeller, stuffed, clearanced.
    Looking to run a liquid to air cooler off jet pressure bleed water that currently gets dumped out back through transom.
    Questions from those with experiance, don't want it boost happy when trying to cruise around if possible.
    Was thinking a stacked intercooler core between plenum and top would be cool if anyone knows a good source for one, like a lightning core or similar?
    Will I kill my jet? I was considering getting the engine done and then seeing how it handles it. Maybe an inducer and loader?
    How do the aluminum logs do with boost, I see older setups with them..
    It is either this or a 557 stroker, this sounds like more fun to me..

2. fordtechguru

no one in here?

3. ss496

Unfortunately this spot doesn't get too much traffic. I've done a similar build that is in its "complete" infancy.

The impeller (size) depends how high your are comfortable running your engine and where it makes power (rpm). A bronze or stainless should be used although some will run aluminum far past the "normal" 500 hp ceiling.

Loader, shoe, inducer....will depend how your hull loads the pump. Drill and tap to the highest and lowest spot you can..closest to the impeller inducer....this will allow you to measure the pressure at the face of the impeller to make you are loading it enough....opinions vary on what is "enough" pressure at max speed.

I used a twin core intercooler plumbed in parallel...it was cheap and way oversized for my application....however it was a bit of a pain to package.....I like your idea of using the water off the pressure relief....but make sure it is full flowing by the time boost comes in.

I do not have an issue with building boost at what I consider cruising speeds...but my turbos are a bit large for my application and have large turbines considering the size of the compressors.

My water jacket manifolds are working well so far....but they are a center riser style

Check out my jet boat build if you havent already....just do a search for Nordic jet boat and it should pop up.....I'd link it but I'm on my phone and lazy

4. ss496

Depending on the power output of your 460 NA and your intended low boost you may be able to get by with the aluminum impeller and "normal" (non AQ) pump shaft.....I used the gt45's as well for cost reasons and the large turbines.... The compressors are a bit big for my ~400 hp NA 460 in twin form.....be warned....the compressors are LOUD when they are directly over your shoulders even at just the ~5 lbs of boost I have ran so far and even when cruising

So far I still have an "A" impeller because I was too lazy to change it out mid season....I wanted to drive the boat.....I have an aggressor AA and a jet rebuild kit on the shelf for spring

5. fordtechguru

Cool, yeh, it probably is 450 hp, has cam and tunnel ram with cobra jet iron heads. The pressure relief shoots water practically all the time except at idle or maybe below 2k rpm. I think it will work pretty good. It has a new straight a impeller but that is an easy swap once I figure out the engine stuff. Lemme go check out your build..

6. 5.0thunder

Sounds like a cool build. I've been gaining interest in Jet Boats recently and will follow your build when it starts.

7. Magnum Performance Turbos

Our specialty... Check this out. These are the twin units on this sprint boat and no it didn't kill the jet. She makes just over 1200 crank horsepower and thats only at about 17psi boost. This is with 68 a/r turbine housings and designed for racing and quick response. The gt45 frame would be too big and laggy for that setup in my opinion unless you're looking fro close to 2000 crank hp. By the way with our turbos we'd run a full CFD analysis and prove the kind of performance you would get with our turbos. If these don't turn out to be the units that work best for you we would prove to you which would from our line up with hard engineering facts. Check out these pics and links below...

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

https://mpturbos.com/t7067--turbo.html

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. Magnum Performance Turbos

5.0thunder likes this.
  9. sneakyneon

Did someone say 460 TT jet boat?