1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

anyone experienced with Speed Pro hyperutectics/ring gaps

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by 406vette, Aug 31, 2009.

1. 406vette

Yes, I know forged is the way to go, and I will be useing them in a future build. But right now I'm dealing dealing with a 406 with speed pro hypers. This will be its second set and I'm only useing them because I got them for next to nothing and my assembly is allready balanced to them and speed pro claims they can be used for "moderate boost". All but one of the first set broke between the first and second ring on 8 psi. The gaps were set at .026 top and bottom except for the one that survived that was set at .026/.034. Speed Pro/Federal Mogal recomends normal ring gaps for their hyperutectics, specificly .006 per inch for supercharged applications which would be .025. At this point your probly thinking detination, but there is no sign of it, I never heard any and the piston tops are perfect. Short term detination in part of my map is possible of corse and I'll be useing a knock sensor with automatic retard next time. This might be the case since the crown above the top ring didnt break indicating the top ring wasn't butting. Anyone else useing them?