1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin Setup, X or H pipe, straight back, or dumps?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Inda10s, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Inda10s

Twin PT-61s using Saleen rear valance, would like to keep some sort of exhuast coming out the back. What would be best overall? so far Im going with an X pipe. Any reason Single pipes all the way back out be better, worse, anybody? What do turbos prefer? Its going to be a weekend warrior car, some track time, alot of show and go.

2. braxton357

Straight back.

3. ziptie007

I thought i read before that a h or x really doesnt help with turbo's. I could be wrong but i know i read it in a mag or some where. A x pipe might give you a sweet sound. If you don't have a kit and it kind of sounds like you don't I would run a shorty h or x pipe and then a normal catback. you'll just have to run the downpipes to the shorty pipe and you will be all good.

4. Barry D.

the point of either was with equalizing exhaust pulses. while this is a slight concern with na/sc'd/nitrous cars, it isn't with a turbo car. so, use whatever is easiest. just for simplicity sake, i have an x-pipe. why? well, i had an x-pipe that went to catback and all the way out of the 2 1/2" chrome tips before i turbo'd the car. the twin kit had the downpipes go to the factory exhaust location. so, everything from where the shorty header used to be all the way back is the same.
    so, just do whatever is easiest and readily available to get you from that part to your catback.

5. Inda10s

Thanks for the help. I have an X pipe coming with the kit, Ill stick with that.

6. turbo crazy

i like two straight pipes,but from what you can see from Barry's numbers; his setup doesnt hurt much if any. just try to utilize a straight through design muffler. wrong type mufflers will be your hp/tq robber

7. Haze_kid

it's more then equalizing exhaust pulses, at least for an x-pipe... it's about scavenging, which on a turbo motor isn't going to happen. Should work either way :withstu:

8. Racer99

I was told by someone here that a certain Fairmont picked up
    between 2 and 3 tenths by taking the x pipe off the car when it had twins.Maybe said owner would care to verify that.
    :)

9. Enginerd

I had a catted x-pipe and now an off-road H-pipe. No difference between the two performance wise.

Rob

10. Snipe656

"theoretically" an X would hurt more than help but the hurt should be so small it would not be worth worrying about. Although if someone found a 2-3 10ths gain by going away from an X then maybe the hurt is more than I'd first thought.

11. Enginerd

How would twin fart-pipes perform?

Rob

12. Snipe656

Depends on the size of the farts

13. millerman340

I thought I read that the x pipe helps off boost on the bottom for when your just driving normally.O I forgot that does not happen when you have boost ! I''ll just have to wait to find out.

14. Linc's 84 351

I would think an X is beneficial, because it still allows each side to breath through two mufflers instead of one, even if the pulses are much smaller...

15. coupe 88

Another one for straights, this way you know more info about the car, (blown head gasket or something wrong with the turbo) less guess work. also its easier to work with under the car, you don't have to take the exhaust off to take the drive shaft off if needed, more room to play around with. my 2 cents.

16. turbo crazy

Great point!!!

17. Inda10s

Very good point, less weight too! The one twin turbo mustang I have seen in person, Turbo50Mikes car, was running them straight back. Im still open to suggestions.

18. Snipe656

I have blown my fair share of headgaskets in the past and with h-pipes and could always tell which side was blown by the exhause. The only one I ever had with an X, I was able to determine which side it was by a water drip test on the headers while it ran.

19. Inda10s

Snipe, briefly explain the "water drip test"..

20. Linc's 84 351

1) Start the car cold....

2) Use a spray bottle of water to spray the headers tubes

3) The ones not firing will not evaporate the water fast like the ones that are firing healthy